Ram Eco Diesel Discuss topics specific to the Ram 1500 Eco Diesel

issues with Eco diesel

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2018, 11:26 AM
margodale
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default issues with Eco diesel

Appologise if this question is redundant but just joined and would like some input. My neighbor had an eco a couple years ago and ended up trading it in for a 5.7 metro due the issues he had in towing. He has a 7K lb travel trailer that he tows throughout AZ, back n forth to San Diego and into Utah. he stated that it would literally "nearly" shut down going up 6-8% grades which is the primary reason for dumping it for the 5.7. Is this related to the engine issues I've been reading about? have been contemplating getting an eco for the past few years basically based on the fuel economy as I don't tow anymore. Appreciate any thots on the eco vs the 5.7?

Old 09-26-2018, 12:04 PM
b1lk1
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Buying a diesel means entering the lovely world of DPFE and the expense/mess they create. DPFE filters and the regeneration process has been a boon for the towing industry. Trucks of all makes/models regularly go into regen mode and refuse to come out and have to be brought to the dealers for service before they can be driven again. I'm not saying this happens all the time to any particular brand/make, but it is a very real problem with all 2008+ diesel vehicles.

7K lb trailer, likely much more weight not being counted, is a lot of weight for a 4cy diesel. No wonder the Hemi can do it better.

Old 10-15-2018, 12:54 PM
margodale

Thanks for ur thots n sorry for not replying sooner...That's what I've been hearing from some of the eco owners I've spoken to. It's either "I love the truck and have had no issues" or the complete opposite where they've had to be towed back to the dealer as you stated several times (luckily within the warranty period). The last owner I spoke with said his eco had gone into "limp" mode (5-6 times) for no apparent reason which resulted in a tow back to the dealer. One time after the dealer "fixed" the issue he never made it home before it did it again. Something about the exhaust or exhaust filter clogging up. There doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason for this happening. Some said they've driven in town (PHX) for the entire 65K miles with no issues and others over the highway/semi long hauls with nothing but issues. The owner I spoke with that had all the issues finally took off the exhaust and filter as the truck was out of warranty and he wasn't required to do emissions in the rural area he lives. No issues since...

As to my neighbor and his towing the 7K trailer, the 7K was the GVWR and he said he never loaded it close to that so I'm assuming it probably had to do with the filters clogging, going into "limp" mode etc...

All this makes for a tough decision on what or if to buy (and at the risk of getting verbally trounced") or just keep my 2007, 2500, 5.9, that I no longer tow with and use more as a "drive around town" vehicle. In its defense, it only has 108K on it (yes original), has not given me any issues except for the normal recalls/maintenance, and gets relatively decent mpg if I keep it at 1850 rpm/65-70 mph. As I don't tow anymore, am just looking to down size to a smoother ride and better mpg like I've read/heard about with the eco.....

Old 04-08-2019, 10:28 AM
godster
Professional

Well i got to this thread and I don't know if you purchased a new truck or not. I have the 2015 eco diesel. I had a few issues but thats OK. If you are not pulling a trailer I would go for it as I do an average of 26 MPG. Depending of your area, flat land or not. I do pull a travel trailer and its over 7000 lbs. I get about 14 MPG. A lot better than my 5.7 hemi.

Quick Reply: issues with Eco diesel