Ramcharger, Trailduster & Power Wagon Grrrr!! Tough Trucks! The Dodge Ramcharger and Plymouth Trailduster were full size SUV's that had good looks and brute strength. The Dodge Power Wagon was comparable to them in toughness, but came in pickup truck form only.

What would it take?

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2004, 11:30 PM
Baer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What would it take?

Has anyone here ever swapped a big block (383, 400 or 440) into an '81 W150?

This is my future plan except that i want to keep the manual tranny, I really dislke driving slushboxes.

If anyone has, tips would be greatly appreciated.

Old 09-11-2004, 12:10 AM
moparturd
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: What would it take?

Sure. You can get adapter engine mounting brackets from Schumaker Creative Services. Evrything else should fit OK. You'll probably want a better rearend than what you have.

Old 10-24-2004, 11:13 PM
Ross

Check out http://www.offroadexchange.com/modfo...ex.php?board=3 There are many such motor swaps on this site. Everything from built 318s to crate engines and built 440s.

Old 01-20-2005, 09:03 AM
MadSwapper

Just answered this a few mins ago for someone else, so to quote myself,

Not trying to make this sound too easy, but as far as swapping in a 440 in place of your small block.....1. Find a pair of big block truck motor mount brackets. 383,400,or 440, 2. Yank out your small block Existing Transmission. 3. Move the rubber isolator pads from position "A" to position "B", if the holes are not drilled, they are marked, about 1" from your existing ones. 4. Bolt in your new Big block and Big Block Transmission, The distance to the transmission mount is the same as your small block set-up. That's most of it. Simple eh? You may also have to modify your existing rad support in order to install a larger rad for your big block, and you'll have to make changes to your exhaust system etc. But more or less, a bolt together deal.

The only difference, if your going to keep your manual transmission, you just need to swap bellhousings, and do a bit of modifying on your clutch linkage.

Old 11-08-2010, 09:38 AM
Gohot
Wink Swap

You will find all you need. Theres mounts, pans, pickups for pans etc, etc.
www.BPEMopar.com

Last edited by Gohot; 11-08-2010 at 09:53 AM.