Ramcharger, Trailduster & Power Wagon Grrrr!! Tough Trucks! The Dodge Ramcharger and Plymouth Trailduster were full size SUV's that had good looks and brute strength. The Dodge Power Wagon was comparable to them in toughness, but came in pickup truck form only.

where do I start?

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2007, 07:50 PM
coyote_rage
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default where do I start?

I recently purchased a 1976 Trailduster. The wiring is splice on splice. Total chaos. Being fairly new to the Mopar ignition system I have no idea where to start. I have fuel no fire. No voltage at the ignition module, but voltage at the fuse block. I would love to completely rewire the truck and get rid of the ratnest, but I have no clue where to start. If anyone could help with a diagram, or a place to pick up trouble shooting let me know.

Old 05-16-2007, 01:14 AM
stormer426
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: where do I start?

Well then, A Haynes manual would get you in the ball park diagram wise. I would suggest checking for key on voltage at the ballast resistor and go from there to the wiring at the ignition module which could/should be black with yellow to neg side of the coil, dark blue/ yellow (key on power) from the voltage regulator to everything splice, gray wire and black wire to thedistributorpick up coil and the green/red from the ballast resistor to the control box, this wire green/red is not really needed and if you wish to go to a single ballast resistor it may be eliminated.If you oreint the plug as a pentastar the 12v key 0nwire (blue/yellow)should be the top one, the black yellow to the left, gray to the right,black bottom right to distributor and the green/ red bottom left back to the resistor. hope this helps you! I would say replace any of the wiringthat looks questionable.

Old 05-17-2007, 07:56 PM
coyote_rage

Before it started raining on me I discovered no voltage at the resistor.

Old 05-20-2007, 04:42 AM
Chump
Captain

At the ballast resistor, you should have 12 volts on the Red wire/s during "Run" and 12 volts at the pink wire/s during "start". If you don't have either voltage than we need to check the connectors on the firewall for melting, corrosion or wiring butchering. Power for these circuits are supplied from the ignition switch to the firewall bulkhead connector and then out to the engine. Get back to me.

Old 12-11-2007, 09:29 AM
raibeart

You could do what i plan on doing and order a completely new wiring harness and fuse black from painless performance. It is a 12-circuit non GM keyed column kit. It is your best bet. just go to painlessperformance.com and it is part number 10104.

Old 12-11-2007, 11:29 AM
JohnnyRanger101

go to alldatadiy.com there you'll find what you need and more..

Old 12-20-2007, 10:16 PM
ramitupurs84

I acutally posted the same thing below, I am in the midst of figuring out through a painless rep what the easiest/cleanest way to do the engine harness/the guts of the vehicle/gauges.

Quick Reply: where do I start?