Ramcharger, Trailduster & Power Wagon Grrrr!! Tough Trucks! The Dodge Ramcharger and Plymouth Trailduster were full size SUV's that had good looks and brute strength. The Dodge Power Wagon was comparable to them in toughness, but came in pickup truck form only.

Just Got an 84 Ramcharger need suggestions for improvement!

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2007, 11:37 PM
beejosh
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just Got an 84 Ramcharger need suggestions for improvement!

Ok Dodge fans I hope that some of you will help me in my new project. I just purchased a 1984 Dodge Ramcharger SE Royale 150, 5.9L 360, 4x4

I got if for $500, it has 74000 original miles, everything is original. Not even a crack in the interior, AC still works and so deos the cruise control. The U-joints need to be replace. What I am asking is what do you think will need to be replaced and what improvements can I make to the truck (things that you know are going to be bad). Not a scratch on a new paint job, As far as the looks are considered this truck is immaculate, I could put a few thousand into it and be real happy...

Any tips suggestions etc would be very appreciated!

Old 10-09-2007, 10:56 PM
jrt
Default RE: Just Got an 84 Ramcharger need suggestions for improvement!

I can't remember if 84 has lock outs or are auto hubs?? If the hubs are auto trash them, they are prone to fail, if you have manual hubs the first thing I would do is maint on the bearings, re grease and check them out. The A/C is still blowing cold? Has it been changed to 134? The heater box thats in the foot well of the passenger side of the cab will fill with leaves and trash and this will cause the a/c to not be as effieient as it can be plus stink to high heaven when you run it, there is an easy way to clean it out but it requires you to cut a piece out of the box to access inside its not that difficult to do and then reseal it witha piece of aluminum cut to size paint it black and screw in over the hole!I did it to my truck and it looks factory. Check the clutch fan on the engine they are prone to go out also and can cause it to overheat, I would also flush my radiator while I was at it just in case and check all hoses especially heater lines.360s are good motors as long as you take care of them keep the oil changed regular. Does the trans pan leak? Thats another problem they are prone to. Dodge makes a new gasket for the 727 thats great its pricey for a gasket but once you install it your leaks are gone and you can reuse it again once you changed you filter etc. The cost for the gasket is around 14 to 15 dollars at the dealer. I would get me a 6 inch lift kit (all springs) no blocks, and also get an adjustable drag link and longer pitman arm to keep the steering geometry in line. Borgeson makes a replacement steering shaft that gets rid of the rag joint at the steering box, you will not believe the difference that it makes in the handling of the truck once you replace the rag joint. Thats some ideas of where to start, there are many things you can do to get more performance out of the 360, headers, low restriction cat. converter, muffler, cam and on and on.... I hope this gives you some ideas and good luck it sounds like you have a nice ride........enjoy it!!

Old 10-12-2007, 03:41 AM
beejosh

Thanks for the reply, I am having a friend do some work on it soon as I am working two jobs and he could use the $$$ and your suggestions help me a great deal! The truck itself has been parked in the garage most of its life so I do not have the heater problem. The hubs are auto locking and work fine for now, they will have to go before I start to have some real fun with it then... Thanks for your help in performance tips and look fors!!!

Old 10-17-2007, 07:12 PM
blindside

yeah he's right about the auto hubs, they suck something fierce! i have an 84 also, it was bought for 500 also.i had to get rid of the auto locks because they were trying to shift into 4 low all the damn time. also the clicking noise was driving me nuts.i put in a set of warn lockers on it and it works better than before. mine has only 83,000 miles on it now. i did the 4" lift from rough country, all spring lift. it cost me only 600, and redid the brakes, steering, and exhaust on it with headers. cam in the works, holley carb, and new intake will set it up right. i'll post a pick for ya.

Old 10-18-2007, 10:19 AM
beejosh

I do not have any hub problems though from your description I will know when they start to go out. It looks like my rear differential needs some work instead of the u-joints ... Anyways I plan on keeping the original motor as it is the 5.9 360, headers, new carb and holley are on my list, though first i am going to go with a suspension lift. How did you do it for only 600$ ?. Well I am going to get the diff done first then lift then tires and from that point on then I will probably open up the hood and start having fun.

Old 10-20-2007, 12:40 PM
eaikau

Get theBorgeson Steering Shaft to fix the sloppy steering

Old 10-24-2007, 06:51 PM
blindside

the lift on mine i got from rough country. they sent me the front springs and the rear blocks for it and i called them back and told them that i wanted the springs all the way around. they actually hooked me up and charged me half price on the rear springs.and the rims and tires i got were arounf 1100.00 from big o tires. 33 x 12.5 x 15 on 10 inch rims. the tires are baddass in the mud , on the street, and in the sand. BIG O " XT' series tires. and i got a 6 year full warranty on the tires also. way i figure is, i will mess up my tires every 2 years. new front and rear brakes, new u- joints, headers, 3" pipes, working on the power steering as of the moment. put my hood scoop on and finish the painting and interior and bam! i like to **** off the essays around here with the stereo thats in it. 2000 watts to 2 12's in a bandpass box. with the exhaust and the stereo, no one around me can here ****. oh well.

Quick Reply: Just Got an 84 Ramcharger need suggestions for improvement!