Ramcharger, Trailduster & Power Wagon Grrrr!! Tough Trucks! The Dodge Ramcharger and Plymouth Trailduster were full size SUV's that had good looks and brute strength. The Dodge Power Wagon was comparable to them in toughness, but came in pickup truck form only.

help with engine upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2007, 04:09 PM
jeremybracknell
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default help with engine upgrade

Hello all, I am pretty new at the Dodge thing but i just bought a 1988 Dodge Ramcharger about a month ago. when i got the thing it sounded ok ran pretty good just seemed like it needed a clutch, So i replaced the clutch in it and am having some weird noise out of the transmission but thats another thing altogether. I am a pretty good mechanic when it comes to GM stuff I have been a mechanic in the military now for about eight years and been turning wrenches for about twenty that i can remember. Well heres the problem my engine was running fine for a while but all the sudden one morning i got in my truck to go to work and i noticed a loss in power so i left it sitting for the day and drove my other vehicle to work. Wheni got home I started the Dodge and it was smoking like crazy I have no power and it is missing on the number 8 cylinder. I dont understand it was fine then just gone. It is not knocking or rattling or making any strange noise at all just no compression on number 8. So I am looking for some upgrades to do when i pull this thing to rebuild it when i return from Afganistan in about 15 months. I dont know all the option for a dodge motor so anything will help I thought about going with a carb and getting rid of the TBI I just dont know any thing you guys have please let me know. Thistruck is going to be a toy for me so it is in the mud and river beds and hill climbs all the time. Any suggestions will help. Thanks alot.

Old 12-31-2007, 05:45 AM
Crazy4x4RT
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
Default RE: help with engine upgrade

If your planning to go offroading like you said the TBI is going to be better than any carb.You didnt say what engine you have. if you got a 318 you can go to a 360 easly. Or if you wanted even more power go with a magnum engines. found in 92-up rams dakotas and jeep grandcherikes. There is the 5.2 same as 318 or the big boy 5.9 360. they will work with your tranny. motor mouts location a little differnt and if you can hook up the multiport injecton, that would be better than TBI.

Old 12-31-2007, 11:50 AM
jeremybracknell

sound good but how different are the motormounts from the 318 to the 360 and what are the differences between the old engines and the magnums? Also i do have the 318 but i was kinda wanting to try to keep it as simple as i can for now. i kinda want to stay with the original 318 if possible so what are some upgrades i can do with out changing the TBI on the current engine i have in the truck. If possible where is the best place to buy a master rebuild kit and what are some of the prices? I found a master rebuild on ebay with pistons, rings, rod bearings, cam bearings, crank bearings, a cam, Lifters, oil pump, timing set, freeze plugs, all the good stuff i guess well let me know your suggestions. Thanks alotit looks like it will be a while before i get t do this stuff just looking into my option i am going to Afganistan in a few days but will return in 15 months to do this project probably buy some stuff while i'm in Afganistan and have it shipped home.http://item.express.ebay.com/Dodge-M...mdZExpressItem

Old 12-31-2007, 02:58 PM
Crazy4x4RT
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

the 318 and 360 la engines have same motor mounts. you could get headers high per. coil wires open exhast. higher cam. lots of stuff for your stock engine. chech out summitracing.com you can even put mag. heads on your la engine. they will blot up perfectly. there beter flowing. but i think if u go with mag heads you might need to change the intake. lotsof options. opefully afganistan will go by quick for you.

Old 01-01-2008, 04:49 PM
vandersommen

Hello Jeremy,
how do you know it is cilinder N0 8? Did you measure compression? If I read your message I think about an ignition problem. Check your spark plug(s) and your spark plug cables. If you drive alot off road, so it could also be moist in the distributor or ignition system. I wish you succes.

Dutch dodge driver Marc

Quick Reply: help with engine upgrade