Ramcharger, Trailduster & Power Wagon Grrrr!! Tough Trucks! The Dodge Ramcharger and Plymouth Trailduster were full size SUV's that had good looks and brute strength. The Dodge Power Wagon was comparable to them in toughness, but came in pickup truck form only.

steering colum issues on starting

Old 02-12-2013, 09:48 AM
donniedee
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default steering colum issues on starting

ok my son just bought a awesome built 89 dodge ram charger with a lift kit new rebuilt ft rear deffs transfer case ect awesome looking truck but the issue is: gear marker in collum is broken.

first how can i fix this?

then you have to be really easy and fiddle with the gear chifter on the automatic to get it to start whats up? plenty of power lights bright ect... issue is in colloum HELP... HES DEAD IN THE DRIVEWAY feel free to email me with ideas as well p47dpilot@hotmail

Old 02-14-2013, 09:14 PM
crazzywolfie
Legend
Received 71 Likes on 67 Posts

is the needle broken or does the needle just not move? sounds like the shifter linkage might be sloppy.

Old 02-15-2013, 09:45 AM
Fleet Guy

Must have a tilt column? If so check to see if the cable came unhooked between the cluster and the column. Not starting may be a linkage adjustment issue. Sounds like someone before him was messing with the column or had it out?

Old 04-09-2013, 11:38 PM
rjtx667
Amateur

I was just reading somewhere, can't remember where... that someone had an issue where the "click" if you want to call it that between gears stopped working. He torn into the tranny and found it was a little check ball with a spring and the ball popped out of place.

So if its hard to feel the clicks between gears that could be your issue.

if your interested pm me and I will see if I can find that link again.

otherwise its like crazzywolfie said check to see the gear indicator wire from the gage cluster is connected to the steering column.

Old 04-16-2013, 11:19 PM
ray13200

Does it just not start or won't go into drive? If its not starting try to start it in neutral. There are electronic switches in the steering colomn that will only allow it to start out of gear for saftey reasons

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: steering colum issues on starting