Ramcharger, Trailduster & Power Wagon Grrrr!! Tough Trucks! The Dodge Ramcharger and Plymouth Trailduster were full size SUV's that had good looks and brute strength. The Dodge Power Wagon was comparable to them in toughness, but came in pickup truck form only.

87 Dodge Ramcharger - Carb swap issues!!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2013, 09:12 PM
shepardleec
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation 87 Dodge Ramcharger - Carb swap issues!!!

Hello everyone! I am a new member here. I have put off joining for a couple years, but recent issues helped me to make that choice. I have an 87 Dodge Ramcharger with a 318 V8. Have owned this truck for 10 years and is all original (except for the wheels). The little factory Holley 2bbl was in dire need of a rebuild, so I decided to upgrade to a 500 Holley instead. I have installed 3 of these over the years on different vehicles and always been happy with the performance and gas mileage.

I had already done away with the smog pump a few years ago before the new carb, so I thought I would strip the rest out as well during the swap. Here is what I have hooked up and unhooked
1) Instead of having a spark advance on the distributor, I have one on the driver side fender instead. After I figured that out, I hooked it up to the carb.
2) I also hooked up the PCV line from the valve cover.
3) I did away with the EGR and installed a plate on the manifold in it's place.
4) I unhooked the evaporator canister and lines.
5) Plugged remaining vacuum ports on carb.
So after all this the truck is idling very rough and I can only get it to smooth out if I accelerate. I'm very confident there is no leak between the carb and and intake/adapter, but I can always remove it to be sure I guess. Any help will sure be appreaciated.

Old 08-28-2013, 10:29 AM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 335 Likes on 299 Posts

Welcome to DF! Moving this to the Ramcharger section.

Old 08-29-2013, 07:33 PM
shepardleec

Thanks for moving it! I didn't realize it was in the wrong section.

Old 08-31-2013, 05:33 PM
TheBeastLives

Iv had bad luck with carb adaptors. They always leaked vacuum for me.
I'd check your carb adjustments and maybe try bumping the idle up a little.
I did away with everything you did and had zero problems but mine does have the egr.
I kept it because theres some kinda sumjn about when you get rid of it you can't advance your timing very much. I would maybe try adjusting the timing a little bit and see if that helps.
I'm assuming the 500 is new and not a used carb that may need a cleaning?

Let us know and best of luck

Old 09-05-2013, 08:44 PM
shepardleec

Hey "The Beast Lives", Thanks for the help. The carb was brand new, but I had to adjust the float and idle mixture screws. This is my third one I have bought and the other 2 were factory set correctly. She is running smooth now! That 500 really woke up the ole girl! I also unhooked and capped off my EGR and no problems so far.

Quick Reply: 87 Dodge Ramcharger - Carb swap issues!!!