Ramcharger, Trailduster & Power Wagon Grrrr!! Tough Trucks! The Dodge Ramcharger and Plymouth Trailduster were full size SUV's that had good looks and brute strength. The Dodge Power Wagon was comparable to them in toughness, but came in pickup truck form only.

78 Ramcharger convert to 4 barrel

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2018, 04:58 PM
brandon spivey
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 78 Ramcharger convert to 4 barrel

Hey guys so I want to take the 2 barrel carb off my 78 Ramcharger 318 and go to a 4 barrel. I know I have to upgrade the intake, the intakes I've looked at off Holley's website shows that they won't work on the 78 due to the AC does anyone know where I can get a good inake that'll work? I'm going to also look at Edelbrock, but definitely still going with a Holley carb. Anyone know of a good intake thanks

Old 02-22-2018, 06:46 AM
Moparite
Grand Champion
Received 347 Likes on 327 Posts

I'm not sure what's available today but you can look for used ones also(ebay, craigs list etc). The 70's where the hay day for intakes and there where plenty available in every configuration you would want.

Old 02-26-2018, 01:43 PM
b1lk1
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Stock intake and 2bbl carb is geared towards low end torque. You really need to change the camshaft as well if you want a 4bbl. Stock cam will not gain much just by swapping the carb and intake. I'd also suggest you upgrade the ignition system as well. Engines built in the late 70's are not designed to make much power over 4K RPM that's why they only need a smallish 2bbl.

If you don't change the camshaft all a 4bbl will do is use more gas and make more noise. It won't add any usable power.

Quick Reply: 78 Ramcharger convert to 4 barrel