Ramcharger, Trailduster & Power Wagon Grrrr!! Tough Trucks! The Dodge Ramcharger and Plymouth Trailduster were full size SUV's that had good looks and brute strength. The Dodge Power Wagon was comparable to them in toughness, but came in pickup truck form only.

Engine swap

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2004, 09:42 PM
Trixter
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine swap

How involved is an engine swap on the 83 ramchargers?

I want to pull out the 360 that is in there, and replace it with a 440.

Anyone ever done this before?

Will Johnson

Old 04-30-2004, 03:07 AM
BadStratRT
The Forum Tyrant
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Engine swap

buy elephant ears to convert a small block to big block. ive seen companies, which all they do is make mounting systems for major engine changes. look around online...if i see anything at the national events starting in may, illpost something on here.

however, seeing as how the ramcharger did come with a 440 in it at one point, if you can find one, you may be able to buy the needed parts, for much less.

Old 05-05-2004, 06:10 PM
Trixter

Looking around, I think I will simply rebuild the engine that is there. Forged crank, forged pistons, etc.

A 440 crate engine is going to cost a huge amount of dough.

Old 05-06-2004, 11:08 AM
moparturd
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Unless your talking about making huge HP amounts, there's little reason to go with a forged anything. The stock crank is good for well into the 400-500 HP range. A set of hypereutectic pistons will also work well. Now if you want the forged stuff because this is going to be a race engine or something, then that's probably a good way to go. Good luck with your project.

Old 08-26-2004, 07:26 PM
moparcop

if your going to do an engine swap; its well worth the money to buy "How to build high performance Mopar engines" This book covers A, LA, B/RB, Wedge, and Hemi motors. It also talks about swaps and how to do them, excelent tool for any Mopar owner.

Old 01-20-2005, 08:56 AM
MadSwapper

Not trying to make this sound too easy, but as far as swapping in a 440 in place of your small block.....1. Find a pair of big block truck motor mount brackets. 383,400,or 440, 2. Yank out your small block Existing Transmission. 3. Move the rubber isolator pads from position "A" to position "B", if the holes are not drilled, they are marked, about 1" from your existing ones. 4. Bolt in your new Big block and Big Block Transmission, The distance to the transmission mount is the same as your small block set-up. That's most of it. Simple eh? You may also have to modify your existing rad support in order to install a larger rad for your big block, and you'll have to make changes to your exhaust system etc. But more or less, a bolt together deal.

Old 07-06-2010, 05:39 PM
rtaylor
Professional

I swapped a 440 in my 79 pw a couple years ago and its a very easy swap, the only thing that I remember that needed some modification was the electrical wiring going to the dist. since its in the front on a BB and the rear on SB. I also would suggest an axle swap to DANA 60s if your going to a 440 with some HP since the small axles that came on the older P/Ws were weak. The mid 80s with a 44 in the front and a corporate in the rear are ok unless you are planning on heavy wheeling....Look on moparts.com and usually they have motor mount brackets for sale pretty cheap aroung 50.00?? the last time I looked. Good luck on your decision either way..........

Quick Reply: Engine swap