Ramcharger, Trailduster & Power Wagon Grrrr!! Tough Trucks! The Dodge Ramcharger and Plymouth Trailduster were full size SUV's that had good looks and brute strength. The Dodge Power Wagon was comparable to them in toughness, but came in pickup truck form only.

86 Ramcharger won't start!?!?

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2006, 12:53 AM
86MountainGoat
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 86 Ramcharger won't start!?!?

I've got an 86 Ramcharger. It was in good running condition but was then parked to change out the heater core. It took a while to have the time to get it changed out and it ended up sitting for several months. My husband started to get it all put back together and now it won't crank. It's getting juice from the battery, but the starter won't even click. My hubby thinks there might be a ground wire off somewhere. Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Old 01-06-2006, 06:53 AM
Chump
Captain
Default RE: 86 Ramcharger won't start!?!?

ORIGINAL: 86MountainGoat

I've got an 86 Ramcharger. It was in good running condition but was then parked to change out the heater core. It took a while to have the time to get it changed out and it ended up sitting for several months. My husband started to get it all put back together and now it won't crank. It's getting juice from the battery, but the starter won't even click. My hubby thinks there might be a ground wire off somewhere. Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Have him check all the wires on the starter relay and if it's an automatic tranny have him check the neutral safety switch on the left side of the tranny. There is a connector with 3 wires that plugs on to the switch, these sometimes fall off. Need more help, holler!

Old 01-06-2006, 06:10 PM
86MountainGoat

Hey, thanks for the suggestions. I'm also going to have him take a look at the solenoid, make sure it hasn't gone bad.

Old 01-07-2006, 04:42 AM
Chump
Captain

Here's a wiring diagram of the starter circuit. the yellow hilited wires are the ground circuit for the starter relay. The green hilited wires are the 12 volt power source to the solenoid. When you turn the key to "start" the relay is supposed to activate, this provides voltage to the solenoid.

[IMG]local://upfiles/21718/9056A5A9D1C345349188411EAD348DFA.jpg[/IMG]

Old 12-15-2011, 06:49 PM
DungeonLord

mine has recently been acting up and not starting..... i found the black box to be the problem(the one the key switch metal rod goes to). i bypassed it by wiring a push-button to activate the solenoid directly from the battery (with fuse) and it starts like it was new every time now.

my symptoms were that it would light up but when i turned the key (to try to start it) it would just click somewhere under my hood. i took off the starter had it tested only to find out that the starter and the built in solenoid were both good. it had been running earlier that day so i knew it had to be the switch (i had been having problems with it earlier).

Quick Reply: 86 Ramcharger won't start!?!?