Ramcharger, Trailduster & Power Wagon Grrrr!! Tough Trucks! The Dodge Ramcharger and Plymouth Trailduster were full size SUV's that had good looks and brute strength. The Dodge Power Wagon was comparable to them in toughness, but came in pickup truck form only.

1985 DODGE RAMCHARGER hard to start

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2024, 02:50 PM
J.W. COWAN
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Red face 1985 DODGE RAMCHARGER hard to start

my 1985 dodge ramcharger royal se 150, is hard to start if it sits for about a week,
if i run it every other day it starts fine,
when is does not start i shoot two shots of crc throttle body cleaner in the carb.
and she fires right up... does the throttle body cleaner do any damage to the
engine, or is there something i can do to get her to start normal if it sits for
longer than a week

Old 05-15-2024, 07:52 PM
ol' grouch
Champion
Received 581 Likes on 526 Posts

Originally Posted by J.W. COWAN
my 1985 dodge ramcharger royal se 150, is hard to start if it sits for about a week,
if i run it every other day it starts fine,
when is does not start i shoot two shots of crc throttle body cleaner in the carb.
and she fires right up... does the throttle body cleaner do any damage to the
engine, or is there something i can do to get her to start normal if it sits for
longer than a week

You have a fuel problem. Several things can be the problem. Fuel siphoning or evaporating, or a weak pump not wanting to pull fuel fast enough. The diaphragm on a mechanical pump might be failing because of ethanol in today's gasoline. If you have a mechanical pump, it will be low on the passenger side of the engine. Look for any dry rotted hoses that might let fuel flow back to the tank a little. Since it runs okay, I think your carburetor is okay.

If it is a weak fuel pump, I'd retrofit an electric fuel pump near the tank. Wire it so it comes on with the ignition key but put a hidden cut off switch in line somewhere so it's harder to steal.

Old 05-16-2024, 06:09 AM
Moparite
Grand Champion
Received 361 Likes on 339 Posts

The diaphragm on a mechanical pump might be failing
Just was i was thinking. It may be leaking out also.

Old 05-17-2024, 04:09 AM
ol' grouch
Champion
Received 581 Likes on 526 Posts

I've also seen metal lines rust and have pin holes in them. This allows a little air to get sucked in. Usually this will cause the engine to bog under steady acceleration. I found it when I added an electric pump at the tank and the fuel line looked like one of those soaker hoses, but with gasoline rather than water.

Quick Reply: 1985 DODGE RAMCHARGER hard to start