Ramcharger, Trailduster & Power Wagon Grrrr!! Tough Trucks! The Dodge Ramcharger and Plymouth Trailduster were full size SUV's that had good looks and brute strength. The Dodge Power Wagon was comparable to them in toughness, but came in pickup truck form only.

1975 W200 GVWR help

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2006, 08:39 AM
filko76
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1975 W200 GVWR help

Hello

I have a question or request if someone could help me. I bought my dodge 1975 dodge w200 2 years ago. I restore it and put a lot of my work and money in it. And now when al is done I can’t put it on the street.
In Slovenia-Europe we have very complicated system for insuring cars. GVWR of my truck in the papers is 8003 lb (3630kg), vehicle weight is 6283 lb (2850kg) and by Slovenian law I need licence for truck to drive it (of course I don’t have this licence).
In Slovenia I could drive with my licence, car or truck with GVWR up to 7716 lb (3500kg) and if GVWR is higher than that I need truck licence.
Now I would like to reduce vehicle payload capacity for around 290lb (135kg) so that my GVWR would be less than 7716lb (3500kg).
For this reduce of payload capacity, to do it officially, I need some kind of paper from dodge company or maybe some brochure, where it would written that dodge like mine was also produced with GVWR less than 7716lb (3500kg) or, that for example, if I take out 1 leaf from springs (I know that this is stupid, but this is the only way to make it official in Slovenia) and with this my payload capacity would be reduced.
I need some kind of confirmation (It would be the best if I could get this from dodge company) that if I make this think with removing leaf or some other modification on the car that my payload capacity and with that GVWR would be reduced.
Please advice where could I get this kind of confirmation, if some one knows any one from dodge company, any think would be help full.
Thank you

Here are some before-after pictures.

Old 06-17-2006, 04:28 PM
The Burning Rom
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: 1975 W200 GVWR help

I don't think you're gonna find anyone here with that kind of info for you.

The GVWR on a truck isn't determined so much by the springs anyway as it is by the axles you have under the truck. If you were to switch the suspension to that of a W150 or W100 and then switch the axles to a Dana 44 up front and Chrysler 9.25 in the rear, your payload capacity would be comparable to that of a W150 or W100. That's the only way I could see it working for you. You would then have the weight bearing equipment of a 1/2 ton truck. Though I'm sure Chrysler parts aren't very common in Slovenia.

But like I said, you're not gonna find anyone here that would have the kind of info you're looking for. I'm not even sure if the kind of info you're looking for exists. I've done a HUGE amount of reading & research on the internet about Dodge and Dodge trucks, and I've never come across anything about how the GVWR is affected by leaf removal or any other "small" things you can do.

Quick Reply: 1975 W200 GVWR help