Ramcharger, Trailduster & Power Wagon Grrrr!! Tough Trucks! The Dodge Ramcharger and Plymouth Trailduster were full size SUV's that had good looks and brute strength. The Dodge Power Wagon was comparable to them in toughness, but came in pickup truck form only.

nobody has figured it out

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2006, 05:04 PM
88 ramcharger
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default nobody has figured it out

my uncle has an 88 ramcharger with 318 TBI. it only has about 88000 k on it,used to run perfect. one day he pulled it under the carport,changed the oil and rear shocks.got back in and it would turn over but not start.he changed dist. cap,computer box,plugs ,wires...etc.nothing worked. it still wont start,just turns over and over.please help.

Old 07-11-2006, 05:06 PM
DevilsReject
Noob Assassin
Default RE: nobody has figured it out

ORIGINAL: 88 ramcharger

my uncle has an 88 ramcharger with 318 TBI. it only has about 88000 k on it,used to run perfect. one day he pulled it under the carport,changed the oil and rear shocks.got back in and it would turn over but not start.he changed dist. cap,computer box,plugs ,wires...etc.nothing worked. it still wont start,just turns over and over.please help.
Did you try a new alternator, battery, starter?

The starter would be the thing I'd check first. Yank it off and have it tested.....

Old 07-11-2006, 11:56 PM
paulsfocus

First off make sure the new computer is programed right for the truck. my boss had to change a computer it had to be taken in to the delership and programed for the truck.

(I don't think it would be the starter being it turns over unless it's weak.)

Next get down and listen for the fuel pump if you hear that try changing the fuel filter.

I work at a small time shop, we've run into this a lot of bad fuel pumps recently. The pumps we've been changing give no sign they are going out they just fail.

Note: My boss say's it's because of the gas the arabs are giving us.(?who knows?)

Old 07-12-2006, 07:36 AM
Chump
Captain

If you are not getting spark or fuel then the ASD/fuel pump relay is shutting down. If the computer does not see pulses from the distributor it will disengage the ASD/fuel pump relay and this cuts off power to the fuel pump and the coil.
Most common problem is the pickup asm in the distributor but maybe the ASD/fuel pump relay is bad or wiring connector is loose?
Fuel pump is in the gas tank...could he have knocked some wires loose back there?
Will it try to start if you put a shot of starting fluid in the TBI?

[IMG]local://upfiles/21718/10445051A4A34DAFB1A6119A595EDC8C.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/21718/94F3D84CD6044F3A83204619ADB0C27C.jpg[/IMG]

Old 07-12-2006, 05:24 PM
DCXgageman
Veteran

Chump's right, verify if it is a spark or fuel problem first. Also, since the shocks were changed, you could look for wire or fuel line damage in the rear shock area (accidental damage)or where he may have jacked up/put jackstands.
Been a while, I know ya can hear the starter motor relay, can you also hear the fuel pump relay? I don't remember from memory.

Old 07-12-2006, 09:37 PM
88 ramcharger

thanks for all the help everyone,I went over there today and we were supposed to work on it,but he had already gave up and taken it to the shop.when he gets it out I,ll get back online and let ya'll know what the problem was.thanks again for all of the very good advice.

Old 10-01-2006, 03:41 PM
lv2rydryd2lv

Bet it was the ceramic resistor on the firwall.

Quick Reply: nobody has figured it out