Ramcharger, Trailduster & Power Wagon Grrrr!! Tough Trucks! The Dodge Ramcharger and Plymouth Trailduster were full size SUV's that had good looks and brute strength. The Dodge Power Wagon was comparable to them in toughness, but came in pickup truck form only.

Engine replaced - few problems

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2006, 01:11 PM
dant98
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine replaced - few problems

I just swapped a new engine into my 84 Ramcharger. I've got some problems I need to work out and hoped someone here had some ideas.

Symptoms:

1) Charging system over voltage. When tested it reads between 16 and 19 volts when idling and reving the engine. My battery guage on the truck is pegged most of the time. I replaced the regulator in hopes it would fix it, but nothin'. I think it also only registered 5 amps.

2) Engine starts and idles fine. In Park / nuteral, seems to rev up fine. When in Drive, the truck takes off slow and will stall / threaten to stall or surge when given more throttle. We've attempted to move the mixture screws on the Thermoquad 1/2 turn either direction and doesn't seem to help much. Richening it doesn't fix it and leaning it makes things worse.

3) Probably electrical related, but I don't get any reading on my fuel guage or my oil pressure guage since the rebuild. coolent temp guage works fine.

I don't know how dependent an '84 is on the computer / electrical system. Maybe I need to figure out my charging system problem first and the other problems might go away? I don't know what other parts to check. Maybe the alternator is no good? I thought i had it tested before I put it on the truck though.

If it makes a difference, this truck originally had AC, but I removed it durring the rebuild.

Specs:

Remanufactured 360 CID (stock replacement)
Edelbroch Performer intake manifold
remanufactured Thermoquad (stock replacement)
RV style cam (slightly more torque optimized)
Aftermarket tubular headers and dual exhaust

Thanks!

-Dan Thomas

Old 08-26-2006, 06:55 AM
Chump
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Engine replaced - few problems

1) Charging system over voltage. When tested it reads between 16 and 19 volts when idling and reving the engine. My battery guage on the truck is pegged most of the time. I replaced the regulator in hopes it would fix it, but nothin'. I think it also only registered 5 amps.
Could you have piched one of the wires that goes to the voltage regulator?

2) Engine starts and idles fine. In Park / nuteral, seems to rev up fine. When in Drive, the truck takes off slow and will stall / threaten to stall or surge when given more throttle. We've attempted to move the mixture screws on the Thermoquad 1/2 turn either direction and doesn't seem to help much. Richening it doesn't fix it and leaning it makes things worse.
When the adjustment screws don't seem to make much difference it usually means that it's time for a carb overhaul.

3) Probably electrical related, but I don't get any reading on my fuel guage or my oil pressure guage since the rebuild. coolent temp guage works fine.
Sounds like wiring issues at the firewall bulkhead connector. This is the big black connector on the drivers side firewall.

I don't know how dependent an '84 is on the computer / electrical system. Maybe I need to figure out my charging system problem first and the other problems might go away?
Fix the overvoltage problem first before you toast the battery.

I don't know what other parts to check. Maybe the alternator is no good? I thought i had it tested before I put it on the truck though.

Quick Reply: Engine replaced - few problems