2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Building up my 95 dodge ram 2500

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2016, 10:50 AM
Moparite
Grand Champion
Received 364 Likes on 342 Posts

I'd save the money you would spend on underdrive pulleys and put it elsewhere. Electric fans will eliminate the drag from the fan. My $.02

Old 04-18-2016, 12:39 PM
Emmelman1
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Moparite
I'd save the money you would spend on underdrive pulleys and put it elsewhere. Electric fans will eliminate the drag from the fan. My $.02
I believe the under drive set is somewhere around 60-70 for crank and although heard they are pretty good will they not do anything or just not worth it?

Old 04-18-2016, 07:01 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,268 Likes on 3,015 Posts

Alt will spin slower, as will everything else, so, at lower RPM (especially at idle), you will get less from the alt, and less power assist to the steering. I don't think spinning the water pump slower is really all that much of an issue.

I have seen cars with underdrive pulleys unable to idle, as the alternator simply isn't putting out enough energy for the load. (especially on a hot day, with the a/c running full blast.)

Now, if this were a full race truck, where every .5 horsepower counted, yeah, maybe it would be worth it...... But, on a daily driver? A TRUCK??? Nah. I would skip 'em.

Old 04-22-2016, 06:20 AM
Emmelman1
Rookie

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Alt will spin slower, as will everything else, so, at lower RPM (especially at idle), you will get less from the alt, and less power assist to the steering

. I don't think spinning the water pump slower is really all that much of an issue.

I have seen cars with underdrive pulleys unable to idle, as the alternator simply isn't putting out enough energy for the load. (especially on a hot day, with the a/c running full blast.)

Now, if this were a full race truck, where every .5 horsepower counted, yeah, maybe it would be worth it...... But, on a daily driver? A TRUCK??? Nah. I would skip 'em.

Taylor wires cam in and accel cap rotor pvc oil catch can and I gapped to .42 instead of stock .35 changed my cold air box I'm thinking I'm gonna make a snorkel (I have welding and exhaust buddy's from what I read and gathered I wanna run the box out the fender into the 3in exhaust pipe snorkel) but is there was around the water and snow getting in I need it more for a scoop than a snorkel (maybe a duel set up in the future?? The box the filter will be in is aluminum diamond plate and plastic on the inside to insulate it. Won't be able to install oil catch until box is done should I stick to my original plans or regular air (fender slot and open hole by radiator)

Old 04-24-2016, 02:20 AM
Emmelman1
Rookie

I Should say the picture of the air box in the first photo is not of my truck but of what I'm wanting to replicate plus add a snorkel I have just finished up my seconded rough cardboard makeup my first was a bit rough this I guess is a bit better gives me better measurements I can take a picture of the sizes and cutouts if you all want does it look like it'll be a good setup for a snorkel? And have videos loading of trucks sound and looks of motor running before and up to now

Old 04-24-2016, 03:16 AM
Emmelman1
Rookie

http://youtu.be/w9SiUjn81X0

This video is from when I started she was running rough lol

http://youtu.be/wWiM6ayIkis

When I finish up timing chain kegger mod had a vaccum leak at the time plus bad distributer cap placement was being held by zip ties and wires were crossed

http://youtu.be/BpRygLqGNaQ

As to now under hood plan on more later just wanna run it a bit

http://youtu.be/qixuKLcEjIM

Sound from exhaust no picture sorry it was dark out and does the exhaust sound weird? It runs like a champ tho and some pics I got plus the rough draft of the intake box

What I want my snorkel to be bent like I'm gonna run a different tip

Tube ran kinda ( gotta cub one of the straight pipes down a bit specter intake pipes and filter

Rough draft #2

Bottom pic is from inside the box it will be sealed and with plex glass on front and top to see if filter is dirty tube will run out of hole in fender to snorkel the hole that is at the bottom of the box is because of metal bum located on fender well can I knock that down don't think it serves a purpose as nothing was there? The wire box is the new wires I ran and accel box was for the distributer cap also I got a accel rotor and I ordered ngk vpower spark plugs but they were back order and no news as of yet when they were gonna be in thanks all

Old 04-24-2016, 09:12 AM
Moparite
Grand Champion
Received 364 Likes on 342 Posts

I'm not sure what your objective is with the intake. Why spend all the money on a fancy set up that doesn't do much better then the stock one. This would work better and it's cheaper and less work.

Old 04-24-2016, 04:06 PM
Emmelman1
Rookie

Originally Posted by Moparite
I'm not sure what your objective is with the intake. Why spend all the money on a fancy set up that doesn't do much better then the stock one. This would work better and it's cheaper and less work.

I'm gonna be putting on a snorkel kinda forced induction and if it looks good later down the road I'll build a second box for drivers side for dual snorkel

Old 04-24-2016, 10:09 PM
Emmelman1
Rookie

We'll first thing I need 4 in pipes so gonna build the box and save it for when I get the new pipes and a second box built for dual snorkels would it help or am I just making it worse it isn't a hot rod and would like to make it look and feel mean should I stay stock

Old 05-18-2016, 01:13 AM
Emmelman1
Rookie

Ok she was running good till this morning went to fire her up and immediately got a check engine light code 22 idle was jumping between 500 and 1000rpm gonna check the voltage on the wiring when I get home but maybe it's the ****ty dura last sensor I bought

Quick Reply: Building up my 95 dodge ram 2500