3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

trailer plug reverse wire color

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2010, 11:05 PM
jerzey111
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default trailer plug reverse wire color

hey guys, i will be installing backup camera and im planning to hook it up to reverse wire. does anybody know the color of the reverse wire on the trailer plug?? thanks

Old 03-25-2010, 03:42 PM
extremis
Professional
Default reverse wire

Not sure that its used on our trucks... but if you have the 7-way trailer plug on the back bumper, the decode for what pin is what signal is on the cap. Some vehicles put it into that plug so you might be able to pick it up from there. If all else fails, trace it off the backup lights built into the rear brake/markers.
Check out this link for the general RV plug pin out. http://rvbasics.com/techtips/rv-trav...ug-wiring.html It has the typical colors used, but that may not be true for our truck side. Most manufacturers use their own color codes on the vehicles. Worth a shot. To test, you can put the truck in reverse, key on, engine off, parking brake on (wheel chock/block for good measure)... then plug a light tester (or a multi/volt meter) into that pin of the trailer plug on the truck and see if it lights up.

Old 03-25-2010, 03:48 PM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by extremis
Not sure that its used on our trucks... http://rvbasics.com/techtips/rv-trav...ug-wiring.html It has the typical colors used, but that may not be true for our truck side. Most manufacturers use their own color codes on the vehicles.
All the pin-out locations are exactly the same for ALL 7-pin plugs. While the wire colors may differ slightly, the wire location are identical. This is for compatability from one vehicle to the next.

I verified my pins using a multi-meter.

Old 03-25-2010, 05:04 PM
rocket23
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Soo witch is it??? verified it works no reverse light signals what is the end result???

Old 03-25-2010, 05:33 PM
jerzey111
Professional

im guessing the middle(whatever color it may be). Should be easy to find. Thanks

Old 03-25-2010, 06:44 PM
HouseApe
Professional

According to the 2006 Body Builder Guide

Should be: WT/LG BACKUP LAMP FEED

Old Today, 01:35 PM
GeoA
Default Which is the reverse wire on 2004 Dodge Ram 1500 trailer light?

I'm installing backup camera on my 2004 Dodge Ram 1500 and try to find the reverse wire of the trailer light. I found only 4 wires, white, yellow, green and purple or black (see picture). ChatGPT said there's no reverse wire in2004 Dodge Ram 1500. Copilot said "Purple Wire with Black Tracer: Reverse lights" (Dodge Ram Trailer Wiring Color Code (Pictured & Explained!) - Off-Road Official (offroadofficial.com). Which one is the reverse wire?

Thank you.

Quick Reply: trailer plug reverse wire color