2nd Gen Neon 2000 - 2005 2nd Gen Neon

timing belt jump/broke

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2012, 12:49 PM
chronoboy
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default timing belt jump/broke

Well i jinxed myself by ordering the new timing belt kit, i ordered it three days ago and yesterday i decided i would take the neon for a little cruise to a picnic cause i was kinda missing driving it "dont tell my friends i said that" if they ask it is cause it does better on gas, anyway i start to drive the car and i think i hear something but with the loud exhaust i couldnt pin point it and it was driving fine so kept going, well i made it the shopette and went in and came back out and started it, as i was pulling out of the store i started hearing a repetative noise, well the park i was going to was right down the road so i start driving and it was running fine but right as i pulled into the parking lot i hear a noise like almost a flat tire noise but didnt feal like a flat tire and then all of a sudden i lose power and die right in the middle of the parking lot.

So i know these are interference motors so now im affraid i might have caused damage, i was only going about five MPH when this happened but i did try to crank it over about five times before i looked at the code it was throwing which was a p0016 or something like that, once i seen the code i didnt try cranking it or anything else after that i just called a tow truck and had it towed home, so now i need to know if there is anything else i should be looking for as for as damages this could of caused? i was going to do a compression test after i do the new timing and see if bent any valves but not sure what else to look for.

And if i did bend valves what should i do? go get a new head, rebuilt one, junk yard one or are they easy to fix myself?

Last edited by chronoboy; 03-09-2012 at 12:54 PM.
Old 03-09-2012, 03:35 PM
TejasMtnBiker
Captain

you might get lucky but the xtra cranks prob screwed the pooch. A low miles head will do on the cheap, if you can afford it shop around for a rebuilt one. Depends on the miles & how much you want to spend. I had mine rebuilt in a bad part of town for $100, but I did most of the work for them (removal, thorough cleaning, numbering valves w/springs)

Call around get some price quotes, if over $300 look at a junkyard motor with low miles and take the whole thing if you like not having car payments.

Old 03-09-2012, 03:57 PM
chronoboy
Rookie

well its not my daily driver, so not wanting to spend to much money on it, but i can get it rebuilt by my father in law if i have too, whatever the cheapest way is the best way.

Old 03-09-2012, 11:02 PM
darthroush
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

A compression test checks the rings. You want to do a leakdown test. Other than that, worst case, pick up a used head, rebuild it and get a new head gasket. Swap the head and timing belt, water pump, etc., and be on your way.

Old 03-10-2012, 03:34 AM
fhadso
Veteran

Mine blew going down the highway shifting into 3rd. Unfortunately, it was about $1500 worth of parts and labor. I bent 8 exhaust pins, broke the timing belt and water pump. I can't tell you all what was done to my car off the top of my head, but I was out of a vehicle for about two weeks.

Old 07-28-2017, 02:45 PM
Anthony weeks
Default Chance you did not ruined valves

My timing belt on my 05 Dodge Neon jump time and stripped 15 key started panicking that I bent valves went ahead and put a new timing belt on it put it back in time and it's running like a champ so don't panic till you put on a new timing belt don't go through all that trouble of ripping your heads off and replacing the valves until you know for sure

Old 07-30-2017, 03:42 PM
darthroush
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

That's the point of a leakdown test. To tell you if there's a bad valve without pulling the head. I certainly wouldn't recommend gambling by replacing everything, putting it back together and then hoping no valves were bent after all of that.

Quick Reply: timing belt jump/broke