3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

2004 4.7 highway speed issue

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2012, 05:48 PM
Harleybikerfl
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 2004 4.7 highway speed issue

I am running into an issue and could use some added insight on this . I currently have a 2004 1500 Ram with a 4.7 , automatic 4X4 . It has 94,000 miles on the clock . I have recently changed the plugs , new air filter , ran fuel injector cleaner through it a few times and have cleaned out the throttle body . The issue I am expierencing is a loss of power at highway speeds . The truck struggles to keep 75 mph on the highway . If cruise control is engaged the truck will lock in at 75 then the speedo will slowly drop down to 70 till the auto downshifts and speeds back up to 75 . The gears are stock that I know of , I have 285/70/17 tires on it . Around town at 45 no power issues at all . I had a 2005 (totalled out by a drunk driver go figure) that never had these issues . Im suspecting fuel pump since it only seems have issues at highway speeds . Or could it possibly be something smaller like a vac line leak (Im not believing that one but still keeping it a possibility) . I have worked on vehicles before so Im not scared of turning wrenches . Just looking for additional advice .

Additional information : No abnormal wear on the tires or excessive dusting on the rims or pulling (had the front end checked) so Im ruling out a brake issue .

Old 04-07-2012, 08:26 PM
Harleybikerfl

any suggestions at all ?

The following users liked this post:
OffRoadRamT651 (09-09-2024)
Old 04-08-2012, 07:23 AM
scwpd
Veteran
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Are you getting any codes at all

Old 04-08-2012, 07:27 AM
Harleybikerfl

Meant to update this lastnight , Had the codes checked . No active or stored codes , also thought maybe plugged up cat(s) . Whatever the issue is its getting worse , did a highway test yesturday and its now down to 65 mph is the "wall" my truck seems to hit . I can accelerate past 65 if it downshifts but maintaning it with cruise or or using my foots cruise it will constantly shift back and forth in and out of OD . I also had a few buds tell me it could possibly be the transmission . But Im not feeling any slipping or any other abnormal shifting

Last edited by Harleybikerfl; 04-08-2012 at 09:52 AM.
Old 06-25-2024, 11:38 PM
OffRoadRamT651
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The overall condition is something I really worry about. My buddy has found himself more and more isolated where he's located and I'm really afraid he could get stuck out there and not be able to (or afraid to) call for help. The truck initially kept burning up parts he would have around when he had time to do stuff. I think he originally thought it was the parts that were all bad, but over time I think he started to realize it was the control unit, which is a shame because it pretty much burned up all the parts he had. He actually stopped working on his truck which was a shame because he liked working on it. Everything going into his PCU is now filtered through one sensor, and that one sensor has distorted the intake of all the data coming in, and has disconnected pretty much all the other sensors. He can't tell if the data coming out of the OBDC is good because all his sensors are now modified to run off only one sensor. Someone put a chip in it that everything is locked down and everything is governed. I think he's afraid to mess with anything for fear of making it worse. I'm pretty sure all the parts he had didn't all burn out, I'm sure there a few that will still work. The PCU is probably telling him all the parts are bad, but he should connect to the sensors directly to confirm that. Over time he's realized the codes are erratic, and he should go with his gut. A bad PCU running off one sensor can make it look like there are a lot more problems than there really are. It's the common denominator where everything started. With him being so isolated, I don't think there is anyone else out where he is anymore that can come by to help. If he took it somewhere and got someone else to look at it with him, it could help a lot to get a different perspective. I will help, but he's got to get it running enough to meet me somewhere halfway. Even if we don't fix anything or take anything apart, at least he could talk about how its running and what mods (if any) he wants to do to it (and at least I would stop worrying about him stuck out there).

Old 06-26-2024, 12:14 AM
Alex Medeiros
Captain
Received 57 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by OffRoadRamT651
The overall condition is something I really worry about. My buddy has found himself more and more isolated where he's located and I'm really afraid he could get stuck out there and not be able to (or afraid to) call for help. The truck initially kept burning up parts he would have around when he had time to do stuff. I think he originally thought it was the parts that were all bad, but over time I think he started to realize it was the control unit, which is a shame because it pretty much burned up all the parts he had. He actually stopped working on his truck which was a shame because he liked working on it. Everything going into his PCU is now filtered through one sensor, and that one sensor has distorted the intake of all the data coming in, and has disconnected pretty much all the other sensors. He can't tell if the data coming out of the OBDC is good because all his sensors are now modified to run off only one sensor. Someone put a chip in it that everything is locked down and everything is governed. I think he's afraid to mess with anything for fear of making it worse. I'm pretty sure all the parts he had didn't all burn out, I'm sure there a few that will still work. The PCU is probably telling him all the parts are bad, but he should connect to the sensors directly to confirm that. Over time he's realized the codes are erratic, and he should go with his gut. A bad PCU running off one sensor can make it look like there are a lot more problems than there really are. It's the common denominator where everything started. With him being so isolated, I don't think there is anyone else out where he is anymore that can come by to help. If he took it somewhere and got someone else to look at it with him, it could help a lot to get a different perspective. I will help, but he's got to get it running enough to meet me somewhere halfway. Even if we don't fix anything or take anything apart, at least he could talk about how its running and what mods (if any) he wants to do to it (and at least I would stop worrying about him stuck out there).
The last response in this thread was 12 years ago lol.

Quick Reply: 2004 4.7 highway speed issue