1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Left brake light not working

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2013, 06:16 PM
Ndbg1
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Left brake light not working

Hi All,

Noobie here. I have a 2002 durango. The left brake light is not working. Turn signals and tail lights work. Changed bulb, no dice. Changed bulb holder to right side, works fine, so it isn't the bulb holder. Metal connections on taillight look clean. Wiggled wires and bulb holder to see if it was a loose connection - no light. So what next? If I get a circuit tester, where do I touch on the taillight connector? And more important, what do I do if I get/not get indication? I did a search here but didn't see the answer.

Thank you!

Old 09-18-2013, 10:48 AM
that_guy
Champion
Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

Make sure the contacts on the bulb holder are actually touching the contacts on the tail light. If they get too hot they can melt the plastic a bit and sink in too far for the bulb holder to touch them. You could also check for power with a volt meter on the contacts where the bulb holder touches. The one on it's own should be the ground and the other two that are next to each other will be the brake and tail light.

Old 10-23-2017, 07:51 PM
sporta
Veteran
Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by that_guy
Make sure the contacts on the bulb holder are actually touching the contacts on the tail light. If they get too hot they can melt the plastic a bit and sink in too far for the bulb holder to touch them. You could also check for power with a volt meter on the contacts where the bulb holder touches. The one on it's own should be the ground and the other two that are next to each other will be the brake and tail light.

It looks like mine may have melted into the housing...is there anyway to make a temporary fix for the brake light if it has melted into the housing? Need to see if I can get brake lights working on the Durango until the weekend...

Thanks,

Steve

Old 10-23-2017, 08:11 PM
that_guy
Champion
Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

get a small screwdriver or knife and lift the contact up some

Old 10-23-2017, 11:40 PM
sporta
Veteran
Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by that_guy
get a small screwdriver or knife and lift the contact up some
Thanks, I got them working....thankfully pick-n-pull has head and taillights at 50% off this weekend....so I know where my Saturday will be spent

Quick Reply: Left brake light not working