3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Truck is loosing Park indicator...... no start at all

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2017, 10:12 AM
vandyatkins
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Truck is loosing Park indicator...... no start at all

Ok hopefully someone can help me with this. I will fill in the entire story and try not to leave anything out.
A few weeks ago I made a attempt at working around the immobilizer system on my truck. What i did was removed the immobilizer (box and ring around ignition cylinder) and left it pulgged in. ran it under the dash and inserted the chipped key in the loop. basically telling the truck that the chipped key was always in it. It has been working fine for a few weeks now until this morning. When i started it it would start fine and cut right back off. I tried this like 3 times. So i decided to put it back as it was factory and try it. Now when i put the key in the ignition everything looks normal. but when I turn the key to start the park indicator light turns off and it does nothing. If i turn the key back on position the indicator comes back on, then turns right back off when i try to start. all other gears are showing up when i change the position just no park on start. I also noticed that the steering wheel lock isnt coming unlocked.

OK. I just went out and checked to see if neutral was showing up. It is and the truck will start in neutral. And i can then put it in park. which i believe is actually in park because it doesnt roll. but still no indicator on the dash.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.
Vandy

Last edited by vandyatkins; 04-23-2017 at 10:21 AM. Reason: to add information
Old 04-23-2017, 11:19 AM
vandyatkins

Sorry. this may help. Truck is a 2002 ram 1500 4x4 5.9 auto

Old 04-23-2017, 11:54 AM
p38251
Record Breaker

It sounds like the neutral safety switch is not being made in park. I would guess there is a wire unhooked. Recheck all your undoing. It is possible the neutral safety switch is bad. Try checking power in park and neutral.