Dodge Ram Van The full size Dodge Ram Van that showed that we can go and do as we please. Discuss the Dodge Ram Van here today.

Header and exhaust replacement

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2017, 02:01 PM
tdissen
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Header and exhaust replacement

I have a 2000 Dodge Ram 1500 van with a 5.2L engine. I am completely redoing the entire van. So far I have rebuilt the 5.2 engine, replaced the transmission, radiator, fuel pump, A/C compressor and ECU. That being said, I am 100% committed to this project. So.....now I need suggestions for a good header and exhaust combination. It's a stock motor and not a daily driver so I can go with a more aggressive sound.

Thanks

Attached Thumbnails Header and exhaust replacement-img_3185.jpg  
Old 06-29-2017, 06:37 PM
iodj44
Veteran

Standard headers (ones that dump under the van) will add a lot of extra heat to the engine compartment. Unlike 70s vans your 2000 has lots of electronics that I don't believe will like that extra heat. Heat wrap would help but I don't think much also stock magnum manifolds flow very well.

Free flowing mufflers and larger pipes will give you the aggressive sound without the heat issues also I would think headers would be brutally loud on a long highway run in a van.

You should also be sure the van will pass your states emissions test with headers.

Last edited by iodj44; 06-30-2017 at 07:28 AM.
Old 07-21-2017, 08:04 PM
mgoblue9798

Originally Posted by tdissen
I have a 2000 Dodge Ram 1500 van with a 5.2L engine. I am completely redoing the entire van. So far I have rebuilt the 5.2 engine, replaced the transmission, radiator, fuel pump, A/C compressor and ECU. That being said, I am 100% committed to this project. So.....now I need suggestions for a good header and exhaust combination. It's a stock motor and not a daily driver so I can go with a more aggressive sound.

Thanks
There were mopar performance mid length headers made at one time but I have been looking for a set for 5 years now.
The restriction in the factory exhaust is in the smaller diameter manifold outlet and the sorry junction at the Y in the pipe.
92 to 93 manifolds have a larger outlet, and magnaflow makes a nice mandrel bent y pipe. While I was at it I also bought the magniflow hi flow cat and a stainless muffler to finish it out. Nice rumble at the back of the van, but nice and quiet with no drone inside.