Dodge Ram Van The full size Dodge Ram Van that showed that we can go and do as we please. Discuss the Dodge Ram Van here today.

Help please setting up 7-way wiring and brake controller.

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2017, 11:29 AM
target4fun7
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help please setting up 7-way wiring and brake controller.

I hope someone can help me with this as I have a trip that would be much safer with the brake controller. So first off I am to start with the back of the van. I bought this:

https://www.etrailer.com/Custom-Fit-...ins/42145.html

and that item fits up perfectly to the pigtail connector on the van. Once I installed that I went under the steering wheel to find the 4-pin connector and there isnt one. I do know the wiring that goes from the back of the van goes under the driver steering wheel area but not sure if what I have is right. I talked to the e-trailer folks and they said all i need was this 4 pin connector wire:

https://www.etrailer.com/Accessories...ite/20127.html

To me that sounds too good to be true but if it is which wires do I hook up too as there are tons of colors and I dont wanna assume the colors should just match up. Would be nice if that is true?

If I dont have the right setup and e-trailer told me wrong what else do i need to have currently the backend of the truck is setup the fuses for towing are empty when i looked in my black relay box under hood.

I can add any pictures needed. Do I need to add a fuse and power wire?

Info about my van: 2001 Ram van 1500, 318 motor, No tow package, has the wiring for it under van body.

Old 07-28-2017, 08:27 AM
rsdata
Captain
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I added the 7 pin connector to my 2001 van a number of years ago. I got it from etrailer just like you did. I followed their instructions, which I might add are very complete, and no I never had an issue with their instructions not with the color codes under the dash.

You have no under dash connector because the factory did not install it. Just use the supplied under dash connector that etrailer provides and splice into the wires under the dash.

I did add 2 heavy gage wires connected directly to the battery thru a fuse on the + side to the 7 pin connector so that my trailer batteries would be charged by the van when running... although this is NOT strictly necessary just to provide braking.

I no longer have this van, otherwise I would snap some pics... but read and follow the etrailer directions and call them as they are very helpful. Ask some friend that might be more
mecanically/electrically inclined to help. Really this is not difficult.

When hooked up correctly and you plug in your trailer, at the correct setting you will feel the trailer brakes grab and slow you down.

Old 07-29-2017, 11:06 AM
SteveR
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You will need to use a test light to find the brake switch signal in the dash if you cannot find a wiring diagram for the van. Start with any wiring attached to the pedal linkage. This is what I did on my 1991 B250.

The power supply to the controller must be protected by a circuit breaker, not a fuse. The controller manual will tell you what size breaker and wiring to use.

The ground needs to be a good solid ground that has been cleaned to bare metal.

The power wire to the actual trailer brakes needs to be protected. I believe I bought a Curtiss kit that had some special heavy blue wire for this. This wire will not have a fuse.

If your trailer has a break-away system with a battery you will need to investigate how that works so you can charge the battery while towing.

Cheers, Steve