1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

How do I run down this short?

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2017, 03:55 PM
onemore94dak
Record Breaker
Received 131 Likes on 123 Posts
Default How do I run down this short?

I installed a used OE Chrysler CD/Cassette/Radio from an online dealer of such items. It worked without problems for just about a year (I did this just after I did the glass channels last Sep.) then it started cutting out. It seems like a short as it comes and goes. It generally comes back up if I sharply hit the top of the dash. I took it out, cleaned it and the connections put electrical lubricant on the connectors and reinstalled it. That seemed to fix it for a few days. Now it is doing the same thing again. At the about same time I also put in 4 new speakers.
I want to eliminate the possibility the wires or speakers are somehow the problem before I ask the seller to fix the radio.
Can some one who knows explain the steps for testing the wires for shorts? or just tell me how to narrow this down to the radio? The wires are the stock wiring down to the factory made adapters the speaker sellers gave me.

Last edited by onemore94dak; 09-20-2017 at 03:59 PM.
Old 09-20-2017, 05:41 PM
robertmee
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by onemore94dak
I installed a used OE Chrysler CD/Cassette/Radio from an online dealer of such items. It worked without problems for just about a year (I did this just after I did the glass channels last Sep.) then it started cutting out. It seems like a short as it comes and goes. It generally comes back up if I sharply hit the top of the dash. I took it out, cleaned it and the connections put electrical lubricant on the connectors and reinstalled it. That seemed to fix it for a few days. Now it is doing the same thing again. At the about same time I also put in 4 new speakers.
I want to eliminate the possibility the wires or speakers are somehow the problem before I ask the seller to fix the radio.
Can some one who knows explain the steps for testing the wires for shorts? or just tell me how to narrow this down to the radio? The wires are the stock wiring down to the factory made adapters the speaker sellers gave me.
Find the power wire in the radio harness....almost always red for dodge/chrysler and even newer radios...might be red with white tracer. Run a new wire to a 12v source. Make sure the ground wire is firmly attached to a good ground. Either a metallic strap or black wire if newer radio. If radio cuts out now it's radio. If it doesn't it's your wiring. It's either losing 12v ignition source or the ground if it's wiring.

Old 09-20-2017, 07:00 PM
onemore94dak
Record Breaker

Your reply reminded me that I left out critical data. The power does not go off. The dial stays lit and indicates it is changing stations but the sound is gone. It does not give any static or scratching noise, once in a while a couple of pops comes out of the right speaker when it goes off or comes on. The sound just dies suddenly with no reason I can detect. It will happen on flat smooth road and not happen going over bumps. It is intermittent with no pattern in how often it cuts out.

Old 09-20-2017, 09:21 PM
robertmee
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by onemore94dak
Your reply reminded me that I left out critical data. The power does not go off. The dial stays lit and indicates it is changing stations but the sound is gone. It does not give any static or scratching noise, once in a while a couple of pops comes out of the right speaker when it goes off or comes on. The sound just dies suddenly with no reason I can detect. It will happen on flat smooth road and not happen going over bumps. It is intermittent with no pattern in how often it cuts out.
Could be the amp is going into protect mode due to a shorted speaker/wire. Connect one speaker at a time and see if it cuts out. If only one causes the behavior you found the problem. If more than one experiences the behavior then bad amp.

Old 09-20-2017, 10:05 PM
onemore94dak
Record Breaker

OK Thanks. The wiring is a multi wire harness. that is going to be a pain to access. I might just take the door and rear panels off and unplug them. I have a good idea which one it is if it is the speaker wires.

Old 09-20-2017, 10:37 PM
RalphP
Champion
Received 368 Likes on 340 Posts

I'll bet that the well known solder joint failure in older Chrysler logo'ed radios is hitting it.

See, for instance, Jeremy Schrag's article on the combo units and repairs at https://www.allpar.com/stereo/combo-deck/ (warning: I'm a paid member, I get no pop up ads; you probably will.)

RwP

Old 09-21-2017, 09:36 AM
onemore94dak
Record Breaker

Thanks Ralph. I'll keep that in mind if the guy chooses not to replace or repair the unit. As it is there is a seal taped across the face plate and body I would have to break to open it.