3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Radio Steering wheel controls Installed

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2018, 11:19 PM
Crazy4x4RT
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
Talking Radio Steering wheel controls Installed

My 2007 Dodge Ram 1500 didn't come with the steering wheel controls (SWC) for the radio installed by the factory. So I went about installing them. The physical install was easy, the software side is where it got confusing and frustrating until I found a workaround.

Here it is installed.
Radio Steering wheel controls Installed-lxkl1kj.jpg

I installed a Bluetooth USB touchscreen double DIN Kenwood head unit.
Radio Steering wheel controls Installed-9b1tr87.jpg

So I did some research, several people were able to install the switches and have a dealer contact Dodge and add in the SWC into the build sheet. At that point, they were able to go to their local dealership and have then tech update the PCM firmware and now you have the software installed. But unfortunately once Fiat took over they put a stop to modifications to build sheets after it leaves the factory. So this option is not valid anymore.

The way the system works by factory is the switches use a resistor ladder network to provide different ground references. Then PCM will convert that analog signal into a digital signal, (hex I believe) and send that signal to the OEM radio to perform the buttons function.
Now if you want to change the OEM radio and keep the SWC you need a module that converts the OEM signal to the new radio brand signal.
If you don't have the SWC switches from factory you need a module that will convert the analog signal to the new radio specific signal. With this setup, one wire goes from ground to the clock spring, then to the switches, the other one goes from the switches to the clock spring and out to the PAC unit, which then outputs to the head unit, It bypasses the PCM since we can setup the OEM software.
The two units I found were from PAC. The PAC SWI-JACK, it works but it does lag. The next one is the PAC SWI-CP5 This one worked great!! It took a little programming but following the instructions and it worked no lag.

I got the switches and the connecting wires from my local You Pull it for a few bucks, I got one from a Chrysler car, the connector for the clock spring is slightly different but with a little modification, I was able to get it fitted. Don't forget to get the plug from the bottom side of the clock spring, you will need two of those pins for you existing plug. My factory clock spring had the position for the SWC (on top) connector open ready to go.

Here is a picture of the steering wheel back panel, I used a Dremel tool to route out the opening. The switch has body clips to hold it up.
Radio Steering wheel controls Installed-qvj1uix.jpg

Radio Steering wheel controls Installed-7t4e6x1.jpg

Here is the factory clockspring, this came on my non-SWC truck. It has the space for the SWC plug.

Here is the inside of the steering wheel with the wires installed. The white plug on the left if the SWC plug.
Radio Steering wheel controls Installed-nkxggox.jpg

Radio Steering wheel controls Installed-zwaldzt.jpg

Here is the connector at the bottom side of the clock spring. Need to add 2 wires with pins into the plug. (I borrowed these next two photos from the link below.)
Radio Steering wheel controls Installed-gokosz5.jpg

Ignore the +5v, that wire will go to the PAC unit analog input.
Radio Steering wheel controls Installed-ncresjz.jpg

Just for info here are part numbers I found in another post
Dodge Talk com/forums/showthread.php?t=80864&page=2
The Harness Part # 56042934AA
The Harness Part # 56000918AC
Left Switch Part # 4685728AB
Right Switch Part # 4685729AB

I also installed had to install a module to provide power to the head unit as well as the power delay until the door opens after the key is removed.
AXXESS - XSVI it was a simple plugin on the vehicle side and hard wire into the new unit.
Radio Steering wheel controls Installed-rfnq9ri.jpg

Here are some diagrams that may help.
Radio Steering wheel controls Installed-tuegpik.jpg

Radio Steering wheel controls Installed-vjg76ow.jpg

Radio Steering wheel controls Installed-mxkcthq.jpg

The following users liked this post:
SnowBeast428 (02-11-2021)
Old 10-20-2018, 07:13 AM
53burb
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Goodmorning,
I have an 07 also. I was planning on buying a steering wheel/shaft off of craigslist in the next week that swc. Mine is only an ST, so I currently do not have them. Can you be more specific as to wiring you did to complete this? I have a Kenwood stereo.

Thx,
Chris

Old 10-22-2018, 09:21 PM
Crazy4x4RT
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

The way I did it was one wire from the switches after the clock spring goes to ground, the other to the PACPAC SWI-CP5 input, then it goes out to the stereo's input.

Originally Posted by 53burb
Goodmorning,
I have an 07 also. I was planning on buying a steering wheel/shaft off of craigslist in the next week that swc. Mine is only an ST, so I currently do not have them. Can you be more specific as to wiring you did to complete this? I have a Kenwood stereo.

Thx,
Chris

Old 10-22-2018, 10:01 PM
53burb

which input on the Pac control does the 5v wire go to? there are multiple analog inputs listed on their wiring diagram. also, are the other wires from the Pac unit installed, or left unconnected?
thx...

Old 10-22-2018, 11:56 PM
53burb

I downloaded the PAC app to my phone. So is it correct to assume you connected the 5v wire to the CAN+ input on the PAC? and the CAN- was left unconnected?
What about the "accessory power input? My Kenwood does not have this wire....

Old 01-23-2024, 02:02 AM
blacksheep337

Where did you connect the swc ground wire off of the clockspring?

Old 01-23-2024, 02:14 AM
blacksheep337

I think that he wired the CAN- to ground.

Quick Reply: Radio Steering wheel controls Installed