2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Need advice on a misfire

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2018, 10:39 PM
Mycrapdodge
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need advice on a misfire

Hello i have a 98 ram 1500 with a 5.2l thats been giving me misfiring issues for awhile now. Long story short i did a compression test recently amd found cylinder 1 had low compression (60 psi compared to 135-150 psi in the other 7) I then did a wet test and the compression didnt come back up. So i know my issue is in the heads. The main thing i am posting this for is advice as to what i should do with my engine. The truck has 173xxx miles on it and its in pretty decent shape regardless im gonna have to pull the heads. If read that the stock heads on these engines a junk so im wondering if i should send them out and them checked and rebuilt or just buy new heads? Is it worth putting heads on an engine with that kind of mileage on it? And if it is what kind of heads should i buy amd from where? Thanks for your time reading over this i just wamted another opinion with wether my crap dodge is worth getting a shiny new set of heads.

Old 10-16-2018, 10:44 PM
MoparFanatic21
Legend
Received 306 Likes on 298 Posts

Originally Posted by Mycrapdodge
Hello i have a 98 ram 1500 with a 5.2l thats been giving me misfiring issues for awhile now. Long story short i did a compression test recently amd found cylinder 1 had low compression (60 psi compared to 135-150 psi in the other 7) I then did a wet test and the compression didnt come back up. So i know my issue is in the heads. The main thing i am posting this for is advice as to what i should do with my engine. The truck has 173xxx miles on it and its in pretty decent shape regardless im gonna have to pull the heads. If read that the stock heads on these engines a junk so im wondering if i should send them out and them checked and rebuilt or just buy new heads? Is it worth putting heads on an engine with that kind of mileage on it? And if it is what kind of heads should i buy amd from where? Thanks for your time reading over this i just wamted another opinion with wether my crap dodge is worth getting a shiny new set of heads.
If it's worth it?...well thats up to you. I would do it, if it were me. But new heads as the newer castings were thicker. Odyssey makes a good low cost set.

Old 10-17-2018, 03:21 AM
Mycrapdodge
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well the truck itself is worth it. I was just thinking of the mileage on the engine in the lower end. But I will look into those heads just didnt want to spend the money on a set and they end up being junk. Thanks

Old 10-17-2018, 10:15 AM
MoparFanatic21
Legend
Received 306 Likes on 298 Posts

Originally Posted by Mycrapdodge
Well the truck itself is worth it. I was just thinking of the mileage on the engine in the lower end. But I will look into those heads just didnt want to spend the money on a set and they end up being junk. Thanks
If there are no problems now there shouldn't be in the future as long as it's taken care of

Quick Reply: Need advice on a misfire