4th Gen Ram Tech 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Sometimes wont start

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2018, 01:34 PM
Danny1972
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sometimes wont start

I have a 2011 dodge ram 1500 quad cab sxt. Have not any problems with this truck bought new just recentley i go to start and it just cranks over but does not start i have been waiting and it finally starts any idea what this could be it cranks when i hit key does not stop cranking till i turn key off

Old 10-21-2018, 08:14 AM
SHO Rod
All Star
Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts

Those symptoms sound consistent with a fuel pump that is not providing sufficient fuel pressure. That could be a faulty fuel pump or an issue with the TIPM not providing voltage to the fuel pump (which was at least common on the 2011 Durangos, I'm unsure if it was also an issue with the Ram). Of course there are other issue that could cause your symptoms, but these two are pretty common.

Do you have a means of checking for power to the fuel pump or fuel pressure?

-Rod

Old 10-22-2018, 12:07 PM
dmancarp
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just went through this in the past month, intermittent start issues...sometimes would crank but not catch. Dealer first flashed some software and gave it back to, truck didn't start the next morning. Dealer then changed out the fuel pump, didn't start for them. Dealer then changed out the TIPM, this is what fixed it. Thankfully all covered under warranty. BTW I have a 2011 5.7 Sport crew cab.

Last edited by dmancarp; 10-22-2018 at 12:13 PM.
Old 10-23-2018, 07:55 AM
SHO Rod
All Star
Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts

There is a temporary work-around for the TIPM issue. Since the typical issue is due to a bad solder joint internal to the TIPM, it's possibly to bypass the bad solder joint by running a jumper wire between a couple of fuses in the accessible portion of the TIPM which will re-route power to the fuel pump. Before my TIPM recall was performed I carried a jumper wire and photo of which fuses to jump, with fuse taps already installed, just in case it left me with a no-start condition some time. Fortunately it never did, but you could try a similar approach next time it happens to help narrow down the issue (power to pump versus fuel pump). Of course you truck's issue could always be something completely different, but the TIPM it sounds like is a rather common source of the symptom.

-Rod

Quick Reply: Sometimes wont start