2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

4WD Front Wheels Not Engaging - I HAVE posilock

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2019, 01:33 PM
txtriathlete
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 4WD Front Wheels Not Engaging - I HAVE posilock

Sorry if this has been covered somewhere, couldn't get past all the noise about CAD issues in my searches.

Front wheels on my truck are not locking in 4WD. 99 1500 5.9 auto. I have a posilock so not the CAD I don't think. T case locks in fine both 4 hi and 4 lo. With posilock engaged, I can turn the yoke on front diff easily by hand and move the pinion gears (transfer case is out of truck for the moment for seals and diff case cover is off). The wheels do not turn. Shouldn't the front diff "lock" somehow? Like when tires are on the ground, turning the front yoke would be hard and move the truck? What am I missing here? is there something downstream in the axle or on the hub that needs to lock?

Old 02-21-2019, 02:26 PM
MoparFanatic21
Legend
Received 306 Likes on 298 Posts

Originally Posted by txtriathlete
Sorry if this has been covered somewhere, couldn't get past all the noise about CAD issues in my searches.

Front wheels on my truck are not locking in 4WD. 99 1500 5.9 auto. I have a posilock so not the CAD I don't think. T case locks in fine both 4 hi and 4 lo. With posilock engaged, I can turn the yoke on front diff easily by hand and move the pinion gears (transfer case is out of truck for the moment for seals and diff case cover is off). The wheels do not turn. Shouldn't the front diff "lock" somehow? Like when tires are on the ground, turning the front yoke would be hard and move the truck? What am I missing here? is there something downstream in the axle or on the hub that needs to lock?
On the passenger side axle tube there are two axles, and there is a collar they connects them together. Check to see if that is happening. Your posilok only replaces the CAD with a cable. Now you can get a kit to eliminate the two piece shaft with a one piece

Old 02-21-2019, 10:44 PM
00t444e
Captain
Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

Sounds like your Posi lock isn't engaging, pull the cover off of the CAD and see what's going on in there.

Old 02-22-2019, 10:53 AM
HeikIlm
Captain
Received 54 Likes on 50 Posts

Three possibilities come to mind; collar is stripped, cable has broken off from the fork, or the fork itself is broken.

CAD stands for central axle disconnect, Posi-Lok just changes the operation from vacuum to mechanical.

Quick Reply: 4WD Front Wheels Not Engaging - I HAVE posilock