3rd Gen Durango 2011+ models

OEM roof bar or rack replacement help

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2019, 10:36 AM
VTDD
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OEM roof bar or rack replacement help

My 2017 RT has the Stow N PlaceŽ️ Roof Rack System. While a cool concept the bars are not long enough to fit a Thule box and a bike rack or two Thule boxes. I have been looking for replacement bars, entire rack or even a basket that would use the Stow N Place attachment points without success. Anyone have an ideas?

Old 04-23-2019, 03:12 PM
cwilliamt
Amateur
Default Stow and Go Rack "Pain"

VTDD - I've been down this road and I feel your pain. The stow-and-go racks are such a good idea...but in their current configuration so very limited. With a little re-engineering they could be a truly great idea.

I can't seem to find anything that interfaces with the stow-and-go rack footings. You can buy Thule or Yakima (or other) feet and bars, but then those would be in addition to the stow and go rack...and they hook into your door openings. I never really liked that aspect of any aftermarket "generic" rack system (Thule, Yakima or otherwise).

Here's what I do:
1)I bought Thule feet that fit my nice, long Thule bars and clamp onto the stow-and-go bars...this does nothing for the fixed space between the bars...front to back...but it does extend the width of my carrying surface alot.

2) Strangely enough (or maybe by design...I don't know) the spacing between the fixed space between the stow-and-go bars are sufficient for a cargo box to be held quite firmly. I have an older style Thule rooftop box that works fine...some of the newer ones are a bit more adjustable and I'm sure work even better. Just search for a box compatible with the DD

3) Lastly, I use a hitch-mounted cargo box...great product...here's the URL of the company from which I bought my box: www.stowaway2.com/

I hope this helps a bit. I know it is not the answer you desperately want (and I want it too)...but it's all I have.

My best,
Craig

Old 04-25-2019, 09:03 AM
fishtrail

I've struggled with the roof rack on my 2013 Crew as well.
Had to re-drill the mounting holes in my box to get it fit the narrow crossbars on the rack.
I also have a 10' 6" fishing rod case on the roof rack that weighs about 40lbs.
Going 70MPH on the freeway with high winds makes me a little nervous, but so far no issues.

I'm still looking for an aftermarket solution that's more sturdy, but no luck yet.

Quick Reply: OEM roof bar or rack replacement help