1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Nagging question

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2019, 12:32 AM
sporta
Veteran
Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts
Question Nagging question

OK everyone, this one is driving me a bit nuts....

As some of you may recall, I have been working on my 2000 Durango 4.7L due to a dropped valve seat on #2 cylinder....I purchased a set of re-man heads off letgo of all places...every thing went together relatively smoothly EXCEPT for the blasted expletive-deleted power steering pump! As you look at the pump there are 3 bolts, 1 at 12 o'clock position, one at the 9 o'clock and one at 6 o'clock position...12 and 9 went in with no issues...6 however it seems the bolt is about a 1/4" too long....did Chrysler re-design the heads (shave a little off here and there) and make a shorter bolt for the 6 o'clock position, if so what years ??? When I was searching pick-n-pull for an emergency ps pump, I verified that the 2000 and 2001 4.7's that I was looking at had 3 bolts the same length...I ended up putting some washers under the head of the bolt to finish it off, however it seems that the pump is leaking like a sieve again...might be the ps pressure line...going to clean it up and check in the AM. I'll get some pictures in the morning with my old heads and a busted PS pump and see if there is a difference in the casting.

Thanks in advance...

Steve

Old 04-23-2019, 11:59 PM
sporta
Veteran
Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Well, I think I have it figured out...the 6 o'clock bolt hole was buggered some ways...I tested a couple bolts on the old head and marked one with paint when it bottomed out...went back to the offending head....was about a 1/4" short...engine cleaner, wd-40 and pb blaster threaded it back in a couple times and it finally cleared it out...so the power steering pump is secure, installing the new high pressure line and should be good to go (again!) LOL.

Quick Reply: Nagging question