Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

[5th Gen : 08+]: EGR P1404 learning issues

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2019, 07:13 PM
Lscman
Veteran
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default EGR P1404 learning issues

I replaced the defective original EGR on my 2008 3.8L with 140k mi. The replacement, an aftermarket unit, kept throwing P1404 codes which refers to a close position error. This error kept reoccurring every 20 miles or so, for over a week, and roughly 200 miles. I was inclined to blame the part, but upon reading various internet info, I concluded that the battery should be disconnected to allow the engine computer to reset and re-learn.

Sure enough, disconnecting the battery for a few seconds allowed ther engine computer to immediately adapt to the aftermarket EGR. It works fine now, no codes.

To those replacing your EGR, make sure to disconnect the battery to help with EGR position calibration.

Old 04-23-2024, 09:35 PM
dsul01
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default EGR P1404 learning issues

Originally Posted by Lscman
I replaced the defective original EGR on my 2008 3.8L with 140k mi. The replacement, an aftermarket unit, kept throwing P1404 codes which refers to a close position error. This error kept reoccurring every 20 miles or so, for over a week, and roughly 200 miles. I was inclined to blame the part, but upon reading various internet info, I concluded that the battery should be disconnected to allow the engine computer to reset and re-learn.

Sure enough, disconnecting the battery for a few seconds allowed ther engine computer to immediately adapt to the aftermarket EGR. It works fine now, no codes.

To those replacing your EGR, make sure to disconnect the battery to help with EGR position calibration.
after relearning process, code still came back on...what other possible issues would cause code reoccurance?

Quick Reply: [5th Gen : 08+]: EGR P1404 learning issues