Dodge Stratus The Dodge Stratus. Whether you've got a sedan or coupe, base model or R/T, theDodge Stratus has winning looks and thrilling performance.

Dodge Stratus - Alignment Help

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2021, 11:34 PM
2006Stratus
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dodge Stratus - Alignment Help

I recently took my 2006 Dodge Stratus SXT (~110,000 miles) in for a four-wheel alignment after having the rear struts/coil springs replaced after one failed. When I went to pick up my vehicle, the technician informed me that they were unable to fully align my vehicle as the front driver's side 'Camber' was out of Factory Specifications (all other measurements were within Factory Specifications). In the last 15 months, I've had the front struts, tie rod ends, right-side upper and lower control arms, wheel hubs and steering rack all replaced and the vehicle aligned twice in addition to my most recent attempt.

To keep this short, I have provided the Factory Specification measurements and those of my vehicle before and after alignment:

Front Factory Settings: My Vehicle's Front Post Alignment Settings: (Red denote out of spec settings)

Camber: -0.9 to +0.3 degrees (+0.3 degrees is the preferred setting) Camber: -1.04 degrees (Left Front)/+0.14 degrees (Right Front)
Toe: +0.02 to +0.22 degrees (+0.12 degrees is the preferred setting) Toe: +0.07 degrees (Left Front)/+0.11 degrees (Right Front)
Caster: +2.3 to +4.3 degrees (+3.3 degrees is the preferred setting) Caster: +3.25 degrees (Left Front)/+2.52 degrees (Right Front)

The advice I received from the alignment shop was to simply install an adjustable ball joint on the side out of spec. They and another shop did not seem interested in looking for the cause of the misalignment. I also discovered that last time the vehicle was aligned, the front, left-side 'Camber' was maxed out at -0.9 degrees. Based on the information I have provided, is there any advice anyone can offer at to what I should be looking for or at? A friend and I took some measurements underneath the car (Point A to Point B...) and found no obvious irregularities (bent, misaligned, etc.).

Old 11-06-2021, 10:42 AM
dccomics

Originally Posted by 2006Stratus
I recently took my 2006 Dodge Stratus SXT (~110,000 miles) in for a four-wheel alignment after having the rear struts/coil springs replaced after one failed. When I went to pick up my vehicle, the technician informed me that they were unable to fully align my vehicle as the front driver's side 'Camber' was out of Factory Specifications (all other measurements were within Factory Specifications). In the last 15 months, I've had the front struts, tie rod ends, right-side upper and lower control arms, wheel hubs and steering rack all replaced and the vehicle aligned twice in addition to my most recent attempt.

To keep this short, I have provided the Factory Specification measurements and those of my vehicle before and after alignment:

Front Factory Settings: My Vehicle's Front Post Alignment Settings: (Red denote out of spec settings)

Camber: -0.9 to +0.3 degrees (+0.3 degrees is the preferred setting) Camber: -1.04 degrees (Left Front)/+0.14 degrees (Right Front)
Toe: +0.02 to +0.22 degrees (+0.12 degrees is the preferred setting) Toe: +0.07 degrees (Left Front)/+0.11 degrees (Right Front)
Caster: +2.3 to +4.3 degrees (+3.3 degrees is the preferred setting) Caster: +3.25 degrees (Left Front)/+2.52 degrees (Right Front)

The advice I received from the alignment shop was to simply install an adjustable ball joint on the side out of spec. They and another shop did not seem interested in looking for the cause of the misalignment. I also discovered that last time the vehicle was aligned, the front, left-side 'Camber' was maxed out at -0.9 degrees. Based on the information I have provided, is there any advice anyone can offer at to what I should be looking for or at? A friend and I took some measurements underneath the car (Point A to Point B...) and found no obvious irregularities (bent, misaligned, etc.).
I am having similar issues. I replaced all four struts, front lower control arms. Upper and lower ball joints, sway bar links, and had a tire shop replace the tie rods. They are telling me they can't get the camber green. I'm struggling to find a fix.

Old 11-08-2021, 09:22 PM
2006Stratus

Unfortunately, these vehicles do not allow for the use of eccentric bolts to adjust camber, just an adjustable aftermarket ball joint if the tie rods do not provide enough adjustment.

I would try to address your alignment issues by looking at past alignment reports if you have any. When the local dealership replaced the vehicle's steering rack, tie rod ends, sway bar links, right-side upper control arm and both lower control arms (under warranty), the vehicle was aligned to Factory specifications. The vehicle also fell within Factory specifications during a later alignment check. After the front struts and wheel bearings/hubs were replaced, that is when the vehicle exceeded set Factory specifications. To date, no one has been able to figure out the cause. I believe its a bad /damaged strut or how the vehicle was reassembled.

Advice I have been given has ranged from rotating the tires more often to replacing the struts again. I've considered replacing the front struts again, this time myself, with a 'quick strut assembly' but there are no guarantees this will remedy things. I have also been told that some 'old school' mechanics, including some dealerships, may be able to align out of specification vehicles? Basically, as the vehicle is being aligned, the strut mount is adjusted along with the tie rod end. The local service adviser at the dealership said this was possibly with this vehicle but I'd need to make an appointment for the vehicle to be looked at, diagnosed and aligned. Again, more money.

Last edited by 2006Stratus; 11-08-2021 at 09:25 PM.
Old Yesterday, 11:48 PM
bobs20
Default Dodge Stratus

Originally Posted by 2006Stratus

I realize this it years later but maybe it will help someone. attached is from my dodge stratus 2001 service manual. There was mention of the steering rack replacement. the manual also states if the crossmember under the vehicle is removed and not placed back exactly where it was removed from, (marked before removal) it would be impossible to adjust caster/camber. that crossmember would be removed if the steering gear was replaced as the manual talks about net build when the vehicle is made.

Quick Reply: Dodge Stratus - Alignment Help