2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

HVAC Mode door actuator and rods assembly

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2022, 07:27 PM
LyndonC
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HVAC Mode door actuator and rods assembly

Anyone have a good photo or diagram of the mode door actuator and the cam and rod assembly on an 02 Dakota, single zone HVAC box? This unit has the mode and blend actuators on the driver's end of the box. There is a round cam wheel with grooves that actuate 2 separate levers for doors. I tool mine apart and now cannot get it back together. Help please!

Old 01-17-2022, 07:19 PM
Dodgevity
Champion
Received 377 Likes on 338 Posts

Not sure if this helps... better than nothing I guess. Note what it says in step 5.

https://www.justanswer.com/dodge/1cz...ost-vents.html

Answered in 7 hours by:
8/13/2008
Dodge Mechanic: techkory

techkory, ASE Certified Technician
Category: Dodge
Satisfied Customers: 37
Experience: 10 years auto repair ase certified tech
Verifiedhello this more than likely is the mode door actuator. you may not have to remove the dash. hope these steps help you.

MODE DOOR
There are four mode doors one defrost/demist door, one floor door and two panel doors. All mode doors are driven by one mode actuator that is attached to a mode cam. Each panel door is driven via a linkage to the panel door shaft. The panel door shaft is connected to two panel levers that are interconnected and driven by the mode cam. The floor door is driven by a floor door shaft that is attached to a lever that is driven by the mode cam. The defrost door has a lever that is connected to the mode cam with a linkage. All mode doors are serviced as part of the HVAC housing and are not available as separate components.

REMOVAL
  1. Disconnect and isolate the battery negative cable.
  2. Remove the silencer from beneath the driver- side end of the instrument panel.
  3. Disconnect the HVAC wire harness connector for the mode door actuator from the actuator connector receptacle.
  4. Remove the two screws that secure the mode actuator to the distribution housing.
  5. Remove the mode actuator from the distribution housing. NOTE: Be sure to hold the mode cam and all mode door links in place.
INSTALLATION
  1. Position the mode actuator onto the heater/AC housing. If necessary, rotate the actuator slightly to align the splines on the actuator output shaft with those in the mode cam. NOTE: Be sure that the mode door links are positioned in the cam.
  2. Install and tighten the two screws that secure the mode door actuator to the distribution housing. Tighten the screws to 2 Nm (17 in. lbs.) .
  3. Reconnect the HVAC wire harness connector for the mode door actuator to the actuator connector receptacle.
  4. Reinstall the silencer under the driver side end of the instrument panel.
  5. Reconnect the battery negative cable.
  6. Perform the heater-A/C control calibration procedure.

Ask Your Own Dodge Question

Old 03-13-2024, 05:14 PM
dodgedakotadood
Default This might help

The thread is a few years old, but for anyone else stuck with the same problem, watch this video: https://youtu.be/0lN5KzPF0Sk]Blend Mode Actuator Replacement[/url]

Old 05-23-2024, 08:53 PM
Observant1
Default bunp an old thread

Bumping an older thread because i let the mode actuator lever fall loose.....now i'm having trouble putting it back.

Oh well, my ac is working again. Worst case is i set it up for the summer and leave it alone.

and i couldnt get the link to work....i think i found it......

Just had to take out the [blend] on the link.

Last edited by Observant1; 05-23-2024 at 09:00 PM. Reason: link didn't work
Old 05-23-2024, 10:16 PM
Observant1

The above youtube is very informative! The link didnt work until i removed ]Blend

Quick Reply: HVAC Mode door actuator and rods assembly