3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

rusted nut on coil pack

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2022 | 08:24 AM
ebxgsxr
|
Professional
Default rusted nut on coil pack

searching brought up a lot of threads regarding the spark plugs being stuck in the cylinder. but i can't even get to that point yet. the nuts holding the ignition coils are rusted onto the stud. when i try to loosen it, the whole stud comes out. which i thought would be fine, but i still can't get them free. even though it feels like the stud is loose, it still feels like something is holding it in place. i was just going to try to pry it out, but i'm not sure what is on the back end holding it in place (as i don't want to damage anything). anyone have any insight on this dilemma? i'm just stuck at this point.

Old Today | 02:58 PM
JLV_Guy

Did you find a good solution? I'm having the same problem with my 2003 Ram 1500 4.7L. Once the stud is exposed I tried grabbing it with a vise grip but it isn't strong enough to hold the stud while I try to unscrew the nut. My best idea is to pull the intake manifold with the coil packs still attached and then I can get to the plugs (and have better access to the studs so I can hopefully get those nuts loose).

Quick Reply: rusted nut on coil pack