Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

[5th Gen : 08+]: 2013 Grand Caravan SXT Misfire and Ticking

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2024, 04:27 PM
tommyhawk13
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2013 Grand Caravan SXT Misfire and Ticking

Thanks for adding me.
My wife's 2013 Grand Caravan's SES light came on, and I don't have all of the codes with me now.
I can hear one of the lifters ticking. It's a Flex Fuel model.

One of the first codes was P0420, so I used a catalytic converter cleaner in the tank and followed the directions.

Then we got a code for a random misfire, and the latest is a code for Cylinder 3 misfire.

I ordered a single rocker, lifter, and a valve cover gasket, and I plan to see if the lifter is on cylinder 3 when the parts arrive this weekend.

After some research, I could be in for more than I expected. Worst case scenario, I think I need to replace the head.
I see some affordable rebuilt ones at Advance Auto parts, under $700.00, but how do I know if these are the newer upgraded heads?
Mopar heads are not that much more.

I will check out the camshaft and upper camshaft bearings while I am in there.
24 rockers alone from Rock Auto would set me back about $175.00, and the lifters would cost $146.00. Both are Melling brand. If I have to replace a camshaft, then I am already in the ballpark of what the head costs.

I won't have access to her van until tomorrow afternoon, and I have already replaced the oil cooler, so this will have to wait for the weekend. My only day off is Saturday.

I'm crossing my fingers, but I could use a little advice here.

Old 04-29-2024, 05:37 PM
tommyhawk13
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We discovered 2 camshafts were damaged on the right bank.
We could not get the plastic tool to relieve the tension on the timing chain, and the chain slipped off when I attempted to remove the cam phaser.
We marked the position of the chain, and now it is off timing by one link.

We are now attempting to remove the timing chain cover, but we are stuck at the oil pan. One stud is very reluctant.
We are going at it with a small torch and vise grips. We will replace the studs, of course.

Quick Reply: [5th Gen : 08+]: 2013 Grand Caravan SXT Misfire and Ticking