2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Brake line fitting leaking

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2024, 06:20 PM
KameronG11
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brake line fitting leaking

I've got a 97 dodge ram 1500 that I've did the 2500 brake upgrade on. I ordered the jegs steel brake lines and put them on a few weeks ago as well, I just noticed that on the driver side both of the copper brake line cones or fittings where they go into in steel brake lines are leaking. Is there anyway to fix them or do I just have the replace the whole line?

Old 04-23-2024, 08:03 PM
AtomicDog
Champion
Received 306 Likes on 289 Posts

Is the brake line that's leaking pre-bent/pre-made for your specific truck? If so, I'd try tightening the nut at the leak point with a good quality flare nut wrench. I ran into a similar issue, but my pre-bent brake lines were made of stainless steel, which definitely required extra tightening to get many of them to stop leaking, due to the hardness of the metal.

The following users liked this post:
Keith_L (04-23-2024)
Old 04-24-2024, 01:31 PM
1997JollyGreenGiant
Record Breaker
Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

I agree with Atomic, I'd tighten them up a little more with a flare wrench.

Did you have any trouble installing these lines? I just replaced a number of brake lines on my truck and I had a few connections that were in odd spaces and were difficult to get them lined up just right. Wondering if something like that could of caused an issue for you.

Old 04-29-2024, 08:04 PM
ol' grouch
Champion
Received 576 Likes on 522 Posts

Originally Posted by KameronG11
I've got a 97 dodge ram 1500 that I've did the 2500 brake upgrade on. I ordered the jegs steel brake lines and put them on a few weeks ago as well, I just noticed that on the driver side both of the copper brake line cones or fittings where they go into in steel brake lines are leaking. Is there anyway to fix them or do I just have the replace the whole line?

I had a '97 Dakota that all the lines were one system and the fittings were the other. I don't remember which was metric and which was SAE, but I had to put adapter fittings in all of them. Without the adapters, they would tighten, but not seal.

Quick Reply: Brake line fitting leaking