1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

89 Dakota buzzer runs whenever door is open

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2024, 11:28 AM
krawczak
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation 89 Dakota buzzer runs whenever door is open

Hi everyone!

So whenever I open the door of my 89 Dakota, the warning buzzer goes off. It doesn't matter if the key is in, the lights are on, or the seat belt is buckled. Closing the door stops it. It is super annoying.
Right now, I just have the yellow buzzer unit pulled out and sitting on the shelf above the cupholder like a lot of you probably do, but I would like to actually fix the problem.
I have the factory service manual, which has been very helpful, but I'm not really able to just look at a wiring diagram and understand the circuit enough to know where to go looking for issues.

So my questions:
- Has this happened to you? Where was the problem and how did you fix it?
- Are you familiar enough with this circuit to guess where a problem would cause this?
- I kind of suspect that the issue is with the key-in switch in the steering column. From reading the service manual, I get the impression that I would need a special tool to disassemble the column enough to access it. Is this true? Is there a workaround/can I make something in my garage that would work?

Thank you in advance, and I will update the thread with my progress!

Quick Reply: 89 Dakota buzzer runs whenever door is open