3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

How to check valve body and solenoids for being overhauled

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2024, 01:22 PM
GrossmeisterB
Professional
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default How to check valve body and solenoids for being overhauled

Cheers everyone,

I still have some trouble with my 545RFE automatic gearbox in my 2004 RAM 1500 HEMI 4x4. I want to replace the valve body with the shifter solenoids. I bought a "refurbished" valve body with solenoids online (https://djtransparts.com/).

Now I received the part and I'm not sure if and how I can check if this really has been overhauled and is not just a used unit that has just be cleaned.
Anyone got an idea how to check it?
Thanks a lot for any help!

Old 06-14-2024, 04:12 PM
Prismatic
All Star
Received 43 Likes on 36 Posts

Unless you're buying a premium unit from a speed shop with say, a billet channel plate, or from someone like ATS who will grind true an original channel plate, really that's all you'll get is a good cleaning and inspection. They might upgrade the unit with a Transgo shift kit while they're in there.

What are the issues you're continuing to have with the trans?

Old 06-14-2024, 04:40 PM
GrossmeisterB
Professional
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

So you might not see any "difference" from outside? Any screws that I could check maybe for being used in the process?

The issues are that in 2nd gear, when e.g. in a traffic jam, rolling at like 20mph or something, then going back on the throttle, it goes into gear very rough with a slight "bang".
Doesn't do it in 1st or 3rd. Tried changing gearbox oil first, but didn't help...

Quick Reply: How to check valve body and solenoids for being overhauled