1st Gen Ram Tech '93 & older Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve 1993 Rams and older. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Electrical Issue

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2024, 12:25 AM
Bill_Myron
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Electrical Issue

1977 Dodge Van B300 5.9 V8 2bbl

Been running this rig for almost a year now with no issues until the past week.

Main issue: starter relay engages and fires up the selenoid and starter when i shift to park or neutral. If i get gas into the carbthe engine will fire, but the starter will continue to run. This happens with no key in the ignition.

Chased the issue looking at afew things:
  • Selenoid and starter are good. Actually ended up removing and taking apart the started and selenoid to check if anything was amiss. nothing looked out of place, so reinstalled
  • Neutral safety switch is functioning. Starter relay only engages when in Park or Neutral. Reverse lights activate appropriately.
  • New starter relay. The relay functions properly. You here the internal switch click and close the circuit when shifting to park or neutral.
  • Ignition switch does not seems to be part of the issue, as the problem persists even with the harness removed from the switch.
  • Checked fuses.
  • Replaced the ballast resistor, voltage regulator, and ECU.
  • General lookover of the wire harness for anty visible signs of damage.
i have the Haynes wiring digram, but at a loss for what to test and where to narrow down the problem. I'm suspecting there is a short in the system to provide power to the starter relay all the time, not just when the ignition is turned to start.

Any help here would be much appreciated. Thanks.
  • Looked all through the wiring harness

Old 07-01-2024, 06:09 AM
Moparite
Grand Champion
Received 388 Likes on 365 Posts

You need to see if the starter has power at the solenoid(after you stop cranking). If not the solenoid/Bendix could be sticking.

Old 07-01-2024, 07:57 PM
Bill_Myron
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As most likely suspected, there was a short at the bulkhead. Melted the power wire from the alternator to the ignition wire. Luckily it was not too fused together and was able to separate them and tape them off temporarily until I can figure out a more permanent solution. Further gremlins still persist, as the brake lights, rear hazard lights, and the blinker lights are now not functioning.

Quick Reply: Electrical Issue