Dodge Ram Van The full size Dodge Ram Van that showed that we can go and do as we please. Discuss the Dodge Ram Van here today.

Is it just hotter this summer????

Search this Thread

Old Today, 01:05 PM
ElkCon
Veteran
Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts
Default Is it just hotter this summer????

I am having an interesting issue with my van. It started in May (it was super hot here) and still does it today.
Nothing is wrong with it - everything works fine - trans fluid is nice - oil is nice...coolant is full and doesnt leak...I serviced the whole cooling system last year when I saw this starting to happen, but it wasnt the scale it is now...
I am only using the dash gauge as my scanner dies and a new one is on the way...
But it has been fairly accurate...within 2-3 degrees...

So here is the issue------

This temp is normal and has been this way for years...

This is idling with the AC on waiting for my kids...pretty normal too...

For the last 18 months of so...in the summer...it runs hot now...this is interstate speed with no AC since it just rained and it was still misting...

If I press it to 80 it goes just right past the 210 line...it used to be right before the 210 line and right on it sometimes..very much like the idling with AC on pic above...

When I pulled my trailer (which was a bad day to do it since it was 99 degrees) It was between the middle and right most white line....eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee that was cruising at 50mph in 3rd...when it got that hot the computer disabled the OD for me the trailer was 5000lbs though

Any ideas? Is it just hotter this year? I cant figure this one out...a friend told me a weird thermostat may do that or the fan clutch...but on the interstate the clutch wouldnt matter and that is where i am seeing the hotter temps...

It is strange...thanks all

So, the whole cooling system is new....other than the water pump which is about 3 ye

Old Today, 01:33 PM
ol' grouch
Champion
Received 585 Likes on 530 Posts

We had the hottest month on record last month as far as records go. Yes, it is hotter. Another forum I'm a member of has one person who keeps saying sea levels aren't rising and it isn't getting any hotter. I just ignore them as tidal flooding is fairly new in a lot of places. I'm a little worried that climate extremes may be getting worse. The average is only a degree or two but the fluctuations are getting wider.

As for your engine temperature, towing will heat it up quick. As long as it's between the lines, you're doing okay if the gauge is reading properly. An infrared remote thermometer is a handy little tool and you can double check with it in case your gauge or sensor is going. Make sure your system is full with no air bubbles. Cavitation will cause it to run hot.

Quick Reply: Is it just hotter this summer????