3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

02 1500 QC 4x4 window&lock issue fixed!

Search this Thread

Old Yesterday, 11:48 PM
PeasantGirl04
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 02 1500 QC 4x4 window&lock issue fixed!

I came across this forum looking for answers to my window issue, which seems common. I was unable to find a definite solution, so I decided to track the problem down myself, and felt i should post results in hopes that it helps someone else!
My issues were; driver window working intermittently, window lock working intermittently, door locks working intermittently.
I started by pulling the master switch panel out and wiggling the wiring harness. This helped for weeks/months, but was inconsistent. Over time, this quit working completely. Driver window was stuck down, passenger windows worked from the driver switches always, and sometimes from passenger and rear switches (intermittent window lock). Only the front passenger lock works from driver switch.
I pulled the door panel off, thinking it was a wire harness issue. I traced the big blue, and big white wires from the larger bottom plug to the window regulator. All connections and wires in the door were secure and clean. I replaced the door panel and came back to the master switch. I unscrewed the cover plate, and backing, and popped the buttons off (pry from the sides of the buttons, upward, until they pop off. They fly! Be careful!). I then was able to separate the top piece from the circuit board. I disassembled the problem switch and cleaned the carbon, reassembled it, and took the bare board with switches out to try it. Still didnt work. I then started looking at the little soldered spots on the board. I noticed that some were split/separated, and traced them to see where they connected when plugged in, and confirmed these broken spots were connected to the problem switches. I asked my boyfriend to solder them a bit for me, to reseal them. This completely solved my driver window issue, as well as the window lock, and both front door locks. Rear door locks still do not work with the driver switch, so I may have missed seeing a broken area, or there is another issue yet to solve. We are due for rain all this week, and I am happy enough to have working windows for the time being!
I'm attaching pictures. They're not great quality, but neither is my phone.

Circuit board with switches

I dont know what these little solder dots are called, but the two closest ones (driver window switch) have a crack around them, as does the next one up, on the right (door lock, i believe).

Quick Reply: 02 1500 QC 4x4 window&lock issue fixed!