2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Truck dies in reverse when letting off gas pedal

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2024, 06:41 PM
GreyGhost.2
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Truck dies in reverse when letting off gas pedal

Hello I have a 2003 Dodge Dakota with 4wd and with the V6 in it. Whenever I put it in reverse it shutters a little bit and then it smooths out, but if I give it about 1k rpm's and then let off the gas to press the brake pedal it'll shutter then just die, has anyone else had this problem? I've read some other forums elsewhere and people are saying that the IACV (Idle Air Control Valve) could be dirty and need to be cleaned or to clean the throttle body and it should run better, but i also heard that it could be the torque converter pump? Any help/knowledge is appreciated.

Old 08-05-2024, 12:21 AM
supadoom
Veteran
Received 39 Likes on 38 Posts

The torque converter doesn't have a pump. Its fed fluid from the main transmission pump. You would have delayed and very rough shifts or no shift scenarios if it was bad. IAC is a likely culprit. They tend to fail like this then just stop working outright. Easy to replace but fairly pricy. Try not to cheap out on the replacement. You can get some electrical cleaner or carb cleaner and spray it out. Test the plastic with a rag dampened with it first though as some are not compatible and will melt the plastic.

Old 08-05-2024, 09:04 PM
magnethead
Legend
Received 164 Likes on 151 Posts

Which V6 does it have, the 3.7 or 3.9?

The prescribed scenario is slightly common on high mileage 3.9 engines due to crank walk/thrust pressure changes in reverse causing a misalignment of the crank position sensor. BTDT myself.

Old Today, 08:43 PM
Damcam
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had this same issue with My 3.9L V6. It was my intake manifold gasket. After i replaced the gasket it drove like a dream. Also would take a look at the PCV valve real easy and cheap to just take a look at it. Mine would die if i let off from light throttle. $4 part fixed that issue.

Quick Reply: Truck dies in reverse when letting off gas pedal