Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

[2nd Gen : 91-95]: trouble locating sensor

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2024, 03:52 PM
Los_Control
Rookie
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default trouble locating sensor

I have a 1993 Caravan with the 3.3 engine with the 4spd overdrive transmission.
There are 3 sensors in the photo .. The new output sensor below fits 93-2007 4spd overdrive transmission.
The OEM sensor above it is the the output sensor I removed ..... there are obvious differences with the length of the snout, course thread vr's fine thread, 3 wire vr's 2 wire.
The numbers on it is 4671019 and 1193 sounds like date code. .... when I google it it comes up as a neutral safety sensor?

The neutral safety switch is on the right and they are all different threads and can not be interchanged ..... it seems to be readily available on Rockauto, just like input and shift sensors I have them with no issue .... I just can not find correct output sensor. ..... I took it to Napa and they could not find it.

So I'm just asking the board if anyone has any ideas on how I can find the correct output sensor?
They seem somewhat mechanical so I soaked in Brakeclean overnight and going to put them back in for now ... clean contacts .... still need to find a new one though.

Old 08-14-2024, 03:13 PM
Los_Control
Rookie

I can give a little update anyways .... I'm a idiot.
I actually received correct sensors, I was just not finding the output sensor on the transmission ... is a dark corner and battery tray is over the top of it.
If I would have just looked at my past photos.

Just saying I took this photo a couple years ago when I first pulled it out to replace the original engine. Since I bothered to edit the photo, it must have been to help someone in a forum.
It is input - output sensors on top, shift sensor circled in red, on the bottom is the PRNDL switch and the neutral start switch. .... seems like I knew this stuff a couple years ago, then just forgot I knowed it.
I was confusing the PRNDL with the hiding output sensor.

I did find the PRNDL switch from Buffalo Engineering, should be here today or tomorrow.

Just saying, I installed all the sensors I had, and still not found the missing output in the upper right dark corner. When I was re-arranging the the light to plug in the nss switch .... I just happened to spot it.

With all that said, the problem has not gone away.
Since I got the new used engine running .... 3 or for times it would not crank ... as if it was in gear and NSS was preventing it from turning over. ..... Something never experienced before.
The cure was to move the gear shift in and out of park a few times and it would start. ..... possible the PRNDL or the NSS is the problem.

The car sat for over 2 years needing a new motor. .... I was mad at it .... I put a used engine in it that I thought was fine and it ran really nice, less then 100 miles it spun a rod bearing.
Just took me 2 years to get over it and want to work on it again.
This was the wife mothers car, when mom passed father gave the car to his daughter.
The van has 187K on it, the transmission was rebuilt 10 years ago and now has 22K miles, the axles were changed at same time.
I replaced the fuel pump with the best one I could find .... father replaced it with the cheapest and last 12K miles, I replaced with quality.
I put new gas struts/shocks on it right before engine failure .... It has new tires on it.

The 2nd time around installing a used engine, I did the brakes also .... they worked fine, rotors were pretty ugly so I replaced them ...... the axle had a torn boot so I just replaced it with a quality axle ..... The whole drivetrain on this van is like this .... 135K on the 2nd used engine and is seems to be working out ok .... need to get this transmission issue fixed.
New crank, cam, 02 sensors. Coil, wires, plugs ..... Everything about this van is in in good condition and ready for years of service. .... Simply cheaper to fix it then try to replace it with a cheap used car. .... Car has family history and we love it .... the dogs really love it ..... means a lot to me to prove to father I can take care of it .... he would have junked it by now.

Last edited by Los_Control; 08-14-2024 at 03:20 PM.
Old Today, 01:43 PM
Los_Control
Rookie

Ok time to put this one to bed .... Since the new sensors did not fix anything. I had double checked all the wiring .... I had the engine/trans out twice in the last 2 years and gave all the harness extra tlc so I knew they were in good shape ..... I automatically assumed it was the TCM that was bad and that did not fix anything ...... So now I'm back to double checking the wiring ... I'm curious about it''s connections to the ECM so I remove the battery/battery tray and follow that end ... I find another connection where it ties in with the battery to get power for the TCM.

I do not think the plug has ever been removed since the car was built .... is a obvious problem and took 10 minute to fix it.
Seems like 80% of electrical issues are connections and grounds .... I really missed this one.

All seems to be fine now, the new TCM is still learning but is hitting all the gears and downshifting just like it should.

Quick Reply: [2nd Gen : 91-95]: trouble locating sensor