New Member Area New to DF? Stop in tell us about yourself and your ride. Please post technical questions in the tech sections.

PTU Bolts missing, casing broken

Search this Thread

Old Today, 02:11 PM
Dodge Owner for life
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default PTU Bolts missing, casing broken

So yesterday I heard a loud " clunking" coming from the journey yesterday. I thought from the sound maybe I had a CV axle failing. I limped it home, got it on jack stands and climbed underneath to see what the issue was. To my utter surprise the bottom two bolts that secure the PTU to the transmission were completely loose ( one completely missing) the housing around the bolt holes are broken both in the PTU and transmission. The threads look as though the bolts were cross threaded in. We just had the torque converter replaced less than five months ago. How do these bolts simply come loose? I've been a backyard mechanic for over 40 years and I've never seen bolts simply coming loose or falling out for no reason. The only reason I had the Torque converter replaced by a shop was that I didn't have the proper tools and tranny jack to do the work myself ( engineering design of how this drivetrain was built made it impossible to do the torque converter replacement at home).
Has anyone had this problem or bolt failure? I'm trying to gather as much information before I contact the Transmission Shop that replaced the torque converter.

Quick Reply: PTU Bolts missing, casing broken