2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Question on rear end fluid change

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2024, 08:59 PM
wizard6733
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question on rear end fluid change

I have a 2003 Dakota with the 3.9L 2WD regular cab and according to my book, it should take 4.9 pints to fill the differential. I pulled the plug off the cover and it was low so I went ahead and changed all the fluid. After draining it and filling it back up, I put the used fluid back into the empty bottles and it looks like I was about a half quart low. I was almost sure it was a limited slip differential but according to the sticker in the glove box, it says 'axle ratio 3.55' and 'Axle-Rear Corporate 8'. It doesnt say anything about LSD or posi-trac or anything. I havent put it on jack stands yet to see if i spin one wheel forward makes the other one go backwards. I used valvoline 75W-90 with the friction modifier already included in the bottles. Im guessing its not going to hurt using this with the modifier already in it on a non LSD axle. I could see putting in fluid without the modifier into a LSD axle causing a problem but I wanted to be sure.

Also I had a brake line rust through about 6 months ago and had it repaired at a shop since it was in the middle of winter and I had no way of fixing it myself. I went to add a little brake fluid to the reservoir and noticed there wasnt a mesh screen inside the filler neck. I dont remember if it had one in it before I took it to the shop and they took it out and forgot to put it back in but did the Dakota originally come with the mesh screen and if so, where could I order just the screen without having to buy the whole reservoir??

Heres the sticker thats in the glove box. The diff cover is round with 10 bolts and it has drum brakes on the back

Thanks

Old 08-18-2024, 09:32 PM
dodgetruck2
All Star
Received 54 Likes on 53 Posts

The sticker would say Limited Slip Differential, possibly slip control terminology was used at some point, I feel like I ran into that once. As far as using the modifier it wont hurt anything but your pocket book as it costs more. Jacking up the tires and spinning them would probably yield in conclusive results as the clutches would most likely be burned out by now.

I cannot provide any information on the screen; however, I rarely see them in brake reservoirs so you could go the rest of your life and not worry about it.

EDIT: I was questioning my response so I went to check again. On the truck I have here it is a separate option code and it reads AXLE - ANTI SPIN

Last edited by dodgetruck2; 08-18-2024 at 09:42 PM.
The following users liked this post:
wizard6733 (08-18-2024)
Old 08-18-2024, 10:18 PM
wizard6733
Amateur

Originally Posted by dodgetruck2
The sticker would say Limited Slip Differential, possibly slip control terminology was used at some point, I feel like I ran into that once. As far as using the modifier it wont hurt anything but your pocket book as it costs more. Jacking up the tires and spinning them would probably yield in conclusive results as the clutches would most likely be burned out by now.

I cannot provide any information on the screen; however, I rarely see them in brake reservoirs so you could go the rest of your life and not worry about it.

EDIT: I was questioning my response so I went to check again. On the truck I have here it is a separate option code and it reads AXLE - ANTI SPIN
Thanks for the quick reply. I paid $12.49 each for a bottle of the stuff with the modifier in it and I bought 3 bottles so it wasnt too expensive. I didnt use synthetic or something high dollar since I just drive this truck about 6 miles a day total back and forth to work and I dont tow anything with it. It has a little over 70k miles on it. Im guessing it was probably the original fluid in it since it was pretty dark and Ive owned it since 2018 and I havent messed with it.

Old Yesterday, 03:34 AM
KD2003PA
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by wizard6733
Thanks for the quick reply. I paid $12.49 each for a bottle of the stuff with the modifier in it and I bought 3 bottles so it wasnt too expensive. I didnt use synthetic or something high dollar since I just drive this truck about 6 miles a day total back and forth to work and I dont tow anything with it. It has a little over 70k miles on it. Im guessing it was probably the original fluid in it since it was pretty dark and Ive owned it since 2018 and I havent messed with it.
For what it's worth, I just replaced my front brake lines and reservoir, the new reservoir from NAPA did not include a screen, nor was there one
in the old reservoir.

The following users liked this post:
wizard6733 (Today)
Old Today, 06:14 PM
wizard6733
Amateur

Originally Posted by KD2003PA
For what it's worth, I just replaced my front brake lines and reservoir, the new reservoir from NAPA did not include a screen, nor was there one
in the old reservoir.
Thanks for the info KD. I thought maybe someone used one of the "one person bleeder systems" and took the screen out to put the bottle upside down in on the reservoir and forgot to put the screen back

Quick Reply: Question on rear end fluid change