1st Gen Dakota general discussion This section is for general discussions about your 1st gen Dakota. Non tech related Dakota threads belong here.

93 dakota I messed up

Search this Thread

Old Today, 04:03 PM
Dirkota
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 93 dakota I messed up

So this last weekend I was having some brake problems with my Dakota so I went and got some brake fluid from AutoZone new master cylinder new calipers and pads and switched it all out and still was having problems and I bled it for an hour it seemed like and when I looked down to add more brake fluid to the reservoir the bottle looked back at me and said I'm power steering fluid what are you doing idiot? So I just ran power steering fluid through my entire brake system and bled power steering fluid through my entire brake system as well. Does this mean I have to take everything out and replace all the rubber? And before this I was actually trying to believe my rear brakes and they were so packed full of garbage I couldn't even bleed them so I'm guessing I have to replace those as well from the front to the back? I know I messed up bad but I'm hoping somebody on here Will tell me it's it's going to be okay and give me a big hug LOL

Old Today, 05:12 PM
Los_Control
Rookie
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Lets see how wrong I am here .... I expect some feed back and will give @Dirkota a hug.

First thing to do is get proper brake fluid and pump it all out flushing the system.

Sometimes a proper replacement for power steering fluid is ATF .... Power steering fluid is cheaper, using ATF will not hurt it.

I'm going with delicate rubber seals in both hydraulic and automatic transmissions .... the PS fluid will not affect the rubber seals in your brake system.
I'm also going to say it will not compress like brake fluid ..... your braking will be terrible if you try to drive with it.

I'm guessing if you pump it all out and refill with brake fluid .... your seals would not be damaged .... you will never get good brakes with it as is ..... your main cost of the mistake will be buying extra brake fluid so you can flush it out really well before actually trying to bleed them again.

I could be wrong just a opinion not a suggestion.

Quick Reply: 93 dakota I messed up