5th Gen Ram Tech 2019+ Ram Trucks: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2019 Ram 1500.. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Remove bed interior corner LED lights in 2022 3500

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2024, 10:13 PM
BigBlueEdge
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Remove bed interior corner LED lights in 2022 3500

I have a 2022 3500 Limited. It has one LED bed light in each of the upper rear corners of the bed. One of them on the driver side is not coming on when the other does. This vehicle had some body work done on that side before I got it. I suspect that it is more likely a wiring problem or disconnected plug than a burned out LED unit. However, I cannot remove it. I've taken out the two screws in the light module but it still doesn't budge. Doing a little research, it looks like it is fastened with a type of expanding anchor, so even though the screws are out the anchor still prevents it from moving. I tried to get to it from the back side by removing the taillight module but you can't see or feel anything the way the bed is molded.

Anyone know how to remove these LED modules without destroying them?

Old Yesterday, 10:57 PM
BigBlueEdge
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

OK, here's an answer since nobody seems to know...

The expanding anchor that goes with the bed cargo lights is made of plastic. The simplest way I can envision to remove them is to first remove the screw and then stick something like a blunted pick or finish nail into the hole the screw came out of. But insert it at an angle. The goal is to contact the part of the anchor that is pulled in by the screw to expand it but in this case you want to push it back out to un-expand the anchor. Once pushed out then run a slightly larger screw into the hole to catch the very front of the anchor. Only insert just enough to catch the threads. Then use a pliers to pull outward on the screw. This should pull the whole anchor out of the hole. It may end up breaking the anchor. You probably want new ones anyway.

As a side note, the new LED light module comes with the wiring harness that goes down the side of the bed and connects to the main wiring harness under and in front of the rear bumper.

Quick Reply: Remove bed interior corner LED lights in 2022 3500