Dodge Ram Van The full size Dodge Ram Van that showed that we can go and do as we please. Discuss the Dodge Ram Van here today.

Trans Cooler Check Valve Delete - Cheap and Easy

Search this Thread

Old Today, 01:58 AM
1998DodgeRamVanCamper
Rookie
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Trans Cooler Check Valve Delete - Cheap and Easy

Hopefully this will be helpful to anyone wishing to delete the transmission cooler line check valve from their 1998-2003 RAM VAN 5.2 or 5.9.

Initially, I was trying to put together the parts to delete the check valve, using the tutorial from 2008 by Aim4Squirrels, found HERE
The total parts cost in 2008 was $38, but now... Well, let's just say that the first two fittings I checked are now, in 2024, $32, so I just stopped there as I could tell this was going to be expensive.

HOWEVER, I'm glad that I did, because I found a better solution which is to purchase the whole trans cooler line with the check valve installed for $32 from Rock Auto.
I simply drilled out the check ball and spring from the new line and used compressed air to make sure the line was clear. Easy peezy install to remove the old line and replace with the new one.
Problem solved.

ADDITIONALLY, I replaced the other trans cooler line since it is ONLY $14!

I love that these parts are so cheap.

PS: I know I could have just drilled out my existing one, but...
1) I didn't trust that the debris from drilling would all come out of the wet line and I certainly don't want that stuff ending up in the valve body.
2) Swapping the new cooler line in for the old one is just faster, easier and less dripping mess.
3) The old line is probably rather dirty inside and so the sudden increase in flow might wash some of the dirt into the tranny.
4) My old line had developed a leak at one ond of the rubber section (probably due to the high pressure as a result of high resistance at the check valve).

Last edited by 1998DodgeRamVanCamper; Today at 02:02 AM.

Quick Reply: Trans Cooler Check Valve Delete - Cheap and Easy