2nd Gen Dakota general discussion This section is for general discussions about your 2nd gen Dakota. Non tech related Dakota threads belong here.

what I did today

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2024 | 05:55 PM
LIZZRD
|
Veteran
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default what I did today

Installed a set of Champion 'truck plugs' #4701 , replacing Champion RC12lc4 from about 10 years ago ? 70K n\miles ?
the old electrodes were spent more than half. Gapped them at .040 .
glad I had a knuckle for the socket for this job since I have the headers.
Will be changing out distributor cap and rotor tomorrow .

The following users liked this post:
jkeaton (10-06-2024)
Old 10-06-2024 | 07:10 PM
LIZZRD
|
Veteran

So, I thought we had an " what did you do to your Dakota today " thread ... ?
anyway , Got invited to a football party today , so parts store tomorrow .
Probably going with the Blue Streak parts from O'Reilly's ... Afterthought,
I am still using the original ignition coil , so picking up one of those also.
any comments on the blue streak brand ?

Old Today | 04:58 PM
LIZZRD
|
Veteran

so , baby steps , after the plugs and ignition coil , fires up within a second ,
idles well and ran it to 5k rpm and back down to idle fine... distrib. and rotor tomorrow

Old Today | 05:25 PM
Los_Control
Professional
Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

I think the main point is to have fun and enjoy anything you do in life .... we do not always get the option to do so. Take it while you can.

I do not know about the Blue streak brand name.
To be honest I typically order from Rockauto and choose the brand names I want. .... Local auto parts store you get the brand they serve.

My Dodge I'm running AC DELCO plugs which is a GM brand, but they make good stuff and I choose it when it is a option .... My coil pack is NGK.

I get a little carried away sometimes on parts replacement. I replaced my distributor on my Chevrolet truck when I bought it .... I had a strange miss I was trying to find.
Turns out it was in the distributor pick up coil, it had rust on the shaft that caused a miss at high speeds. 7 years later the new pickup coil went bad and had to replace it.

Years ago we use to just call this a random tuneup, we would replace the cap, rotor, points, condenser, wires & plugs .... this was just expected.
Today we are called hacks and using a shotgun approach for replacing items before they leave you sitting on the side of the road.

I would rather do it on a Saturday morning in the shop, then later getting a tow truck ride home. .... I have good spares on the shelf if needed.

So just enjoy it and have fun. It is rewarding keeping a vehicle running and dependable without a lot of expensive car payments and full coverage insurance.

Quick Reply: what I did today