Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

[2nd Gen : 91-95]: Suggestions on which brand sensors to buy?

Search this Thread

Old Yesterday | 07:30 PM
Los_Control
|
Professional
Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Suggestions on which brand sensors to buy?

I'm having a issue that is difficult for me to figure out .... Driving along smoothly at 75mph and engine will cut out a few times. .... Have cruise control set and it never loses speed ... just a few random di di di as engine cuts out .... maintains perfect steady speed.

I can drive 20 miles with no issue, then will get one di .... drive 5 miles and get 2 di di .... always back and forth between 1-3 di .... sometimes when the engine cuts out is more violent then others .... just a bigger jerk. <----- this makes me think timing and crank sensor.

I can drive 40-60 mph all day long and no issue at all .... just at higher speeds it has a issue.
So I'm taking the car off the road and ordering a new crank sensor .... just asking what brand would you search for?
Rockauto gives me WVE, NTK, Standard ... Highest price to the lowest in that order.

Something else that sticks in the back of my mind is the spacer ..... This crank sensors uses a felt stick on spacer that is the actual setting when installing the sensor.
Push the sensor tight against the flexplate and tighten it down. When the engine rotates it rubs the felt washer off and leaves the perfect gap.

I have had the new crank sensor in and out and had to replace the felt washer .... the new washer seemed too thin and hard, the glue on the back of it was like gorilla glue.
The goal is to spin the engine over and knock it off .... this washer was stuck so strong that there may still be some of it in place and the crank signal has to pass through it.
So at higher speeds it is more difficult for the signal to get to the pcm.

Only way to find out is to pull it and look .... if I pull it I'm replacing it with a name brand sensor with the spacer they provide .... not the cheap aftermarket spacer available on RA.

Old Today | 04:17 PM
Los_Control
|
Professional
Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

OK I'm going with NTK ..... I think I probably have the WVE in it now .... I'm only guessing crank sensor .... not even crank sensor but maybe a poor quality replacement spacer for installation. Either way I need to get it ordered.

Quick Reply: [2nd Gen : 91-95]: Suggestions on which brand sensors to buy?