Suspension Is your ride slammed to the ground? Did you lift it so high you need a ladder to get in? Step in and let's talk about it.

Pittman Arm or Drag Link?

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2007, 09:14 AM
lanesharon
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pittman Arm or Drag Link?

I have not had any problems with my front end or steering, but I am getting ready to cross the country again, so I started 'shaking things out' again. When I sit in park, or with the brakes on, with or without the van running (key must at least be on), and jerked the steering wheel to the left, I got a slight clunking noise. So, I took it to a couple of the local suspension shops and they putzed around with it enough to make it worse. Both shops swore there was nothing wrong, but there is.

I finally got a friend to jerk the wheel while I got under the van and kept my hand on certain parts. The only one that vibrated to the touch when it happened was the drag link. So, I grabbed it and tried to move it. It rolls forward and back, not sure if it is supposed to. But, when it does, the left side (driver side) 'pops'.

Picture of my suspension

Could someone tell mewhether it is the pittman arm that is bad or thedrag link? Autozone and Advanced Auto have drag links, but no pitmans. So, I am making an assumption that the pittman rarely goes.

Is this something I can do without jacking anything up? If I could do it myself, I could save enough money to get some other parts that I need. The manual I have does not match my suspension at all. Mine is the one pictured(link above) and it is an AZ vehicle, so no rust!

Any advice/guidance/help would be most welcome.

Old 10-27-2007, 09:49 PM
Not even close
Default RE: Pittman Arm or Drag Link?

The pitman arm is the arm off of your steering box. Just an arm with a hole thru it to mount the drag link. My best guess would be the drag link since it has the moving parts in it. Odds are, if it is tight...just popping...you'll be fine for a while but if you're a bit OCD like I am, you could replace it. Get a pickle fork as well so you can remove the ends of the drag link with a hammer.

Old 10-27-2007, 10:11 PM
lanesharon
Professional
Default RE: Pittman Arm or Drag Link?

I have already done the deed. But, I have to say that a pickle fork was not all that easy to use for someone with degenerative bone disease. My shoulder doesn't have a lot of strength and it takes strength to get under the van, without it jacked up, and use a pickle fork to get it out.

I had read some where that there is a new tool that actually presses the joints out instead of smacking them out. If anyone knows what it is called, please let me know.

Also, I have to get a sideways grease fitting for my grease gun. The mechanics who were supposed to be greasing it, aren't. So, I have to do it myself and there are two grease fittings, on the center link, at the very back that are impossible to get to because the frame is right next to them. If anyone knows where I can get one, let me know that too.

Quick Reply: Pittman Arm or Drag Link?